Researching Ch Off Edward Bourne Ruffman DSC

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Atta
Seaman

Researching Ch Off Edward Bourne Ruffman DSC

Postby Atta » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi

I am researching my family tree and need to write a history of my uncle Edward Bourne Ruffman (1916 - 2004) and also my father Alan Ruffman (1913 - 1969).

If anyone can assist then I would be most grateful.

Many thanks
Alastair Ruffman

Pioneer

Re: Researching Ch Off Edward Bourne Ruffman DSC

Postby Pioneer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello Atta, welcome aboard.

According to the London Gazette, your Uncle was also Mentioned In Despatches.
Mr. Edward Bourne RUFFMAN, D.S.C.
For courage and skill while serving his Country with Light Coastal Forces in successful engagements
with enemy shipping
Hope this helps a little.

Brian Holmes
Commander

Postby Brian Holmes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:07 pm

MGB 505 Camper & Nicholson Gosport 5/43
For Operation Bridford - blockade running voyages from Sweden to the UK 10/43 - 3/44
OBE(Civ) Capt Herbert William Jackson MN
MBE(Civ ChOff Philip Roland Legg MN
DSC ChOff Edward Bourne Ruffman MN
MBE(Civ) SndEng James Alexander Winton MN
BEM(Civ) Bsn Peter Michael Jeffrey Warren MN
BEM(Civ) CkStd Henry Sutherland Beckitt MN
BEM(Civ) Greaser Albert Letch MN

For Operation Moonshine - A blockade running voyage from the UK to Sweden and back 1-2/45
Commend Capt Harry Whitfield MN
MID ChOff Edward Bourne Ruffman MN
Commend ChEng James Kirkhope Duncan MN
Commend ChRadOff Eric Hodgson MN
BEM(Civ) AB John Wardell MN
BEM(Civ) Dnkymn George Smith MN
BEM(Civ) Mtrmn John Jones MN

Known Crew
Capt Herbert William Jackson MN
Capt Harry Whitfield MN
ChOff Philip Roland Legg MN
ChOff Edward Bourne Ruffman MN
ChEng James Kirkhope Duncan MN
ChRadOff Eric Hodgson MN
SndEng James Alexander Winton MN
Bsn Peter Michael Jeffrey Warren MN
AB John Wardell MN
CkStd Henry Sutherland Beckitt MN
Dnkymn George Smith MN
Greaser Albert Letch MN
Mtrmn John Jones MN

Known Activities
8/43 Converted to blockade runner and renamed = Nonsuch
10/43-3/44 Operation Bridford - blockade running voyages from Sweden to the UK
1-2/45 Operation Moonshine - A blockade running voyage from the UK to Sweden and back. Gay Viking, Hopewell and MGB 505 deliver more than 40 tons of supplies to the Danish resistance before picking up a return cargo in Gothenberg, Sweden. Gay Viking and Hopewell collide in the Skaggerak and Gay Viking has to be abandoned.
3/45 MGB 2005

The boats apparently operated from Hull and were crewed by personnel from Ellerman Wilson Lines

Tedthehead11
Seaman

Postby Tedthehead11 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:40 pm

My father Francis or Frank R Doherty was in the merchant navy during the war was on Orcadies when She went down after being hit 4 times I think coming from the Suez to S Africa 10/10/42 he then joined the MGBs running the blockade he joined Hopewell in 43 to 15/05/44 did. Joined Chaut 45 or it could be Chant 45 until 28/8/44 back on Hopewell 29/8/44 to 21/9/44 then joined the Gay Viking on the very next day 22/9/44 to 24/10/44. As far as I can see that was the last trip he made. He was only 19 when he joined the M/Navy, so we have a 21 year old torpedoed twice and at 23 was running the blockade, after the war my father went fishing I have all his sea records now until we was losing to many trawlers and I was ready to leave school and wanted to be a fisherman father said no way are you going fishing we moved down Southwell try as I can I cannot find info on this war years, I do remember getting a letter stating that my father had to go and pick up his medals this was 1949 ish I know because dad was fishing and my mother wouldn't open it until he came home,well he read it out and threw it in the fire saying he came home thousands didn't give it to them saying I was paid to do a job my choice to run the blockade and I got an extra £8 per month danger money he also said being torpedoed was also dangerous he never did get those medals I don't need medals to be very proud of what he did and the sacrifices they made, but his great grand children would love them so if any one can help it would be a blessing. Regards a very proud son Ted Doherty my email is baronuk@baronuk.karoo.co.uk

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 am

Hello Ted

There is quite a good book on the subject called The Blockade Busters by Ralph Barker: Chatto & Windus (1976). That mentions a vessel called Charente which was one of the Norwegian ships involved, whose Captains were J W Donald and K M Nordby. MV Hopewell and MV Gay Viking were two of the Royal Navy Camper & Nicholson built Motor Gun Boats which were converted for use in the blockade running operations. I would imagine that if the medals were never issued to him, then it may be possible for a member of the family to apply for them from the relevant authority.

Regards
Admin

Brian Holmes
Commander

Postby Brian Holmes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Gay Viking Camper & Nicholson Gosport

For Operation Bridford - blockade running voyages from Sweden to the UK 10/43 - 3/44
OBE(Civ) Capt Harry Whitfield MN
DSC ChOff Sylvanus Brian John Reynolds MN
OBE(Civ) ChEngr James Kirkhope Duncan MN
MBE(Civ) FstOff John Kristijon Marrow MN
MBE(Civ) FstRadOff George Walker MN
MBE(Civ) SndEng John Swanson Livingstone MN
BEM(Civ) Bsn Herbert Pearson MN
Commend AB John Alan Burdall MN
BEM(Civ) AB James Dolan MN
BEM(Civ) AB John Hopper Ellerington MN
BEM(Civ) CkStd Stanley Close MN
BEM(Civ) Dnkyman Ernest Emil Schafer MN
BEM(Civ) Dnkyman Geore Smith MN
BEM(Civ) Greaser Giuseppe Fenech MN

For Operation Moonshine - A blockade running voyage from the UK to Sweden and back 1-2/45
Commend Capt David Alexander Stokes MN
Commend SndEng Martin Frobisher MN
MBE(Civ) SndRadOff Gilbert Richardson MN
BEM(Civ) Mtrmn Richard Dibnah MN

Known Crew
Capt David Alexander Stokes MN
Capt Harry Whitfield MN
ChOff Sylvanus Brian John Reynolds MN
ChEngr James Kirkhope Duncan MN
FstOff John Kristijon Marrow MN
FstRadOff George Walker MN
SndEng Martin Frobisher MN
SndEng John Swanson Livingstone MN
SndRadOff Gilbert Richardson MN
Bsn Herbert Pearson MN
AB John Alan Burdall MN
AB James Dolan MN
AB John Hopper Ellerington MN
CkStd Stanley Close MN
Dnkyman Ernest Emil Schafer MN
Dnkyman Geore Smith MN
Greaser Giuseppe Fenech MN
Mtrmn Richard Dibnah MN

Known Activities
Requisitioned whilst building for Turkey = MGB 506
7/43 Completed as a blockade runner at Gosport and renamed = Gay Viking
10/43-3/44 Operation Bridford - blockade running voyages from Sweden to the UK
1-2/45 Operation Moonshine - A blockade running voyage from the UK to Sweden and back. Gay Viking, Hopewell and MGB 505 deliver more than 40 tons of supplies to the Danish resistance before picking up a vreturn cargo in Gothenberg, Sweden. Gay Viking and Hopewell collide in the Skaggerak and Gay Viking has to be abandoned.
6/2/45 Rammed by Hopewell (MGB 504) in the Skaggerak and abandoned
Recovered by the Germans

Capt David Alexander Stokes MN (Daily Telegraph obituary 22/02/00)
Served 48 years with Elerman Wilson Line from Cadet to Master. Commanding Officer of blockade runner Hopewell during Operation Bridford. Commanded the tanker Chant 45 ferrying 100 octane fuel during Operation Neptune. Commanding Officer of blockade runner Gay Viking during Operation Moonshine and is rescued when the vessel is sunk on the return journey. He is subsequently flown home from Sweden. In later life he became a Younger Brother of Trinity House. He died aged 95.
Attachments
photo 2.jpg

Tedthehead11
Seaman

Postby Tedthehead11 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 pm

can anyone tell me what Chaut 45 was from 1943 - 1945 inc my father ran the blockade MV Hopewell for 6 months then on to Chaunt 45 or it could be chant 45 but I think it Chaut 45 that was from 30/6 /44 until 28/8/44 Special Ops then back on to Hopewell from 29/8 /44 off Special Ops and next on to Hopewell until 21/9/44 then straight on to gay Viking 22/9/44 until 24/10/44 I know Hopewell and Viking ran the blockade but this 2 months I can't sort out,in October 10 1942 he was on Orcadies when it was torpedoed off the coast of S Africa he was one of the last 14 off that boat I remember the bad dream when I heard him cry out in his sleep [ wounded and nurses first ] always wondered why Orcadies was carryingA troops home through the Suez to uk via S A when she was hit by two torpedoes that chase lasted all day and she took another 4 hits 6 in total before she went down he was just 21 then went on to run the blockade,I know this might be a long shot as it's still under the secret list but he wouldn't pick his medals up saying give them,to those poor souls who never made it home,well he's at full anchor now and his grand kids and great grandkids want to know who he was and what did he do during the war I've got a lot of it just those few months missing,my email is baronuk@baronuk.karoo.co.uk so please any info at all please get in touch .Regards Ted Doherty

cdsc123
Sub Lieutenant

Postby cdsc123 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:01 pm

CHANT 45; CHANnel Tanker number 45 built by Furness Shipbuilding Co Ltd;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHANT_%28ship_type%29

Sistership pic from teesbuiltships.co.uk;
Attachments
CHANT52.jpg

Tedthehead11
Seaman

Postby Tedthehead11 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Really can't thank you enough t he dates all tie up what the ship was doing and were it was many thanks again no wonder it was secret,again many thanks

Return to “Personnel”