My Grandfather Gilbert Richardson

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
karen1921
Seaman

My Grandfather Gilbert Richardson

Postby karen1921 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi my name is Karen the family have recently been clearing out my grandmothers house and have found a campaign medal The Atlantic Star, we know this is my grandads as he served on a gun boat during the war. I need help in finding out which boat he served on his name was Gilbert Richardson his brother John also served with him , my mum can remember living in portsmouth until the moved to Teesside hope you can point me in the right direction .Karen x

Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Grandfather Gilbert Richardson

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello Karen

There's a Gilbert Richardson referenced within the thread Geoffry Wallace Kitching, who is listed as a Radio Officer onboard Gay Viking, one of the blockade running gun boats that went back and forth from the UK to Sweden. Might this be a possible fit? and do you know if he was ever a radio officer?

Just to add to that, the National Archives records for Merchant Navy Awards shows a Gilbert Richardson of the rank Second Radio Officer, who was awarded an MBE, but as a crew member on MV Hopewell — another of the blockade runners — which was originally MGB 504.

Regards
Admin

jonco
Chief Petty Officer

Re: My Grandfather Gilbert Richardson

Postby jonco » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Hello,
If he was Royal Navy you could try to get his service record but you would need a bit more information as in NI number and service number. Was there any documentation with the medal which may give a number.

This link would help you along that route :
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... _navy.html

They will only release record to next of kin - presumably your mother - and there would be a fee. It's all in the text.

Good Luck

Return to “Personnel”