Clifford Douglas Snape

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Edward Ahlgren
Seaman

Clifford Douglas Snape

Postby Edward Ahlgren » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm

I am a serving submarine officer in the Royal Navy owing largely to my Grandfather's influence in my formative years. Clifford Snape was an Able Seaman in MTBs and as far as I understand served both in Great Yarmouth and Nigeria(?). Sadly this is all the information I have to hand - I do not know his service number nor do I know the boats in which he served. Any additional info any of your members have out there on my Grandfather would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clifford Douglas Snape

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello Edward

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard.

I don't have much information to give you unfortunately and suggest the best option would be to apply for a copy of your Grandfather's service details from the Ministry of Defence for which details are available in the Service Records thread.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, given he was with Coastal Forces at that time too, then that would most likely be in connection with the Fairmile 'B' anti-submarine motor launches of Coastal Forces which operated out of Freetown, Sierra Leone in the main, and travelled north to Dakar and south along the Gold Coast to Lagos. You can gain some insight into the theatre of operations in West Africa through the photos and captions on our Coastal Forces Flickr page.

Hope this helps

Regards
Admin

Return to “Personnel”