Burma: uniform in general use by coastal forces Far East Asia

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
dutch
Seaman

Burma: uniform in general use by coastal forces Far East Asia

Postby dutch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:59 am

Hello my father Andy Fraser served in Burma he was combined oops attached to what now would be 3 commando 14th army but back then was known as the 3rd special service brigade. I am trying to portray my father in a Royal Navy re-enactment group I belong to whist at most events there are plenty of mallots and officers walking around there are none accoiated with the Far East Asia campaign. My dad took part in operation Dracula and he was involved in many actions. I' am trying to find out the uniform in general use by coastal forces attached to 3rd S.S. Brigade 14 army Burma. I don't know his flotilla No but his boat No's are ML 869,ML 1479.

kenjoyce
Able Seaman

Re: Burma: uniform in general use by coastal forces Far East Asia

Postby kenjoyce » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:41 pm

This matter was referred to me by Burma Star, London, but I couldn't give much help. I do remember that on MLGB 269 there was little mention of the Rig of the Day. In fact for Mountbatten's review on the Rangoon River to mark the recapture of that City, we had to scrounge white shorts from one of the General Service warships. The record shows us all, officers and men, lining the side bare chested with white caps and shorts and nothing else.
My personal photos have me dressed in a khaki shirt and pants with white navy hat. I recall that when part of a Landing Party searching for a downed plane, I was wearing Japanese Army jungle boats and an Army officer we met loudly advised that the Japanese would do pretty bad things to me if they caught me. I clearly let him know that after what we had seen in Rangoon, no one was going to capture me!

I have no knowledge of ML 869 being in Burma.

Ken Joyce 269

Return to “Personnel”