Eric John Cartwright DSM

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Rodney Hogan
Seaman

Eric John Cartwright DSM

Postby Rodney Hogan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:54 am

Eric was my uncle, he was married to my mothers twin sister Connie maiden names Parkes. My mother's name was Frances, they also had a brother; my uncle; Leonard Parkes. Eric and Connie had 2 sons John (born in UK) and Andrew (born in Aus.). My mother married one of Eric's ship mates, Ernest Baker who sadly went down with H.M.S. Courageous during the early stages of ww2. Mother later remarried and became Frances Hogan and I was born (plus another 6 siblings along the way). My uncle Len was a survivor from the sinking of H.M.S. Fiji, off Crete in 1941, but sadly later went down with "Pepper Pot Penelope" off Anzio ww2. My mother was very proud of our family Naval connection and she would often relate the stories of our family heroes of which my uncle Eric was one having earned the DSM during his MTB service running out of Felixstowe Dock. From an early age I was inspired to join the Royal Navy and at the tender age of 15yrs I joined HMS Ganges as a boy seaman and during the time of my service rose to the dizzy heights of Leading Seaman having served on a variety of sea going vessels, the most enjoyable being the mine sweepers, and the P20s of the RNXS, shame it was disbanded. After my time I had a couple of nondescript jobs and then I landed a job at Felixstowe Docks at the time Ian Trelawny had the helm. I was appointed as the assistant to Mr.Fred Keedle chief fire & safety officer, who became my mentor and a man for who I had the greatest respect, now sadly crossed the bar. Well thats it I hope you found some interest in my short story. Thank you.

Return to “Personnel”