Seeking info on a sailor and LCG-14?

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Andy2016
Seaman

Seeking info on a sailor and LCG-14?

Postby Andy2016 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas and hope you are all well.
I am not sure if this is the right place but thought to ask should anyone be able to help?
I am helping a friend find information on his father from WW2.
He was a sailor and never spoke of his time at all, a few comments were made about Commandos etc that`s all.
There are a few photographs and a postal address which we have discovered is..
HM LCG-14
Landing Craft Gun 14
He was sailor..
A/B William McGuire
C/JX393077
HM LCG-14
We have discovered some info on LCG-14 but wonder if there are any records for the crew?
They will be requesting his service records but as he died less than 25 years ago we expect only basic information.
Any ideas or links where to find more information on him, his crew or the LCG-14 would be greatly appreciated?
Best Wishes
Andy

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seeking info on a sailor and LCG-14?

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:03 am

Hello Andy

Thank you for your enquiry to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have a lot more to add beyond that which you will already have found out. If you do a search for 'LCG' on the IWM web site, you will pick up some general images of LCGs besides the ones for LCG 14 that are not available, and then there is a painting of the vessel which is held in the Royal Marines Museum, which might be another possible source of information. Although Coastal Forces worked in conjunction with Landing Craft at times as part of Combined Operations, the crews of those vessels would have belonged to a different branch of the navy, and had different training bases etc.

Regards
Admin

Andy2016
Seaman

Postby Andy2016 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Thanks for replying
i wasnt sure, thought to ask just in case someone may have done research on them.
Thanks
Andy

Edward Goodchild
Seaman

Postby Edward Goodchild » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:42 pm

My late father Lt Dennis Goodchild RM was on LCG 14 for approximately three years having joined it when it was commissioned at H-W in Belfast, sailed to Plymouth and thence in convoy to Gibraltar. He and the crew were much engaged in harassing Italian coastal shipping and in support of the amphibious landings in the Med, including Anzio. I have some of his diary notes but no pictures.

Hope this is helpful.

Ed

Edward Goodchild
Seaman

Postby Edward Goodchild » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:51 pm

This is a copy of the log of actions, which I believe was inscribed on LCG 14
Attachments
image.jpeg
Details of travels of LCT 14

Martin thompson
Seaman

Postby Martin thompson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi, my grandad Alexander scaife was aboard LCG 14, I’ve asked him to look through his records to find some information on William. I’ll post back on here hopefully with some more information.
Regards martin

Return to “Personnel”