Bertie on MGB 503

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Bertie on MGB 503

Postby Stephen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi all,

Last year I bought a copy of The Little Ships by Gordon Holman, printed in March 1944 (the first edition was published in October 1943). On the first page is an inscription, shown in the attached photo (apologies that it appears to be on its side, but if you click it, it appears the right way up).

I'm quite interested to find out who this was. Some research suggests that Robert Michael Marshall was in command of MGB 503 on 10 June 1944 and also happened to be married. I wonder if he may have been known as Bertie, although I realise that would be an unusual shortening of Robert, and he seems to have been more commonly known as Mike.

Alternatively, there was apparently an Able Seaman Albert Leonard George Turner (C/JX374936) on 503 in 1944. This name seems a more likely contender to be a Bertie, but I haven't been able to find out anything about him (such as his marital status).

I've come by this information from two principal sources; this website (http://www.unithistories.com/officers/R ... cersM.html) and one of the entries on this very forum (viewtopic.php?t=318). I have tried contacting Chewitt, but with no success. I was wondering if any other users, particularly Brian Holmes who posted the crew lists, would be able to point me in the direction of any further information about the crew that might give me some clues about their nicknames in the hope I can work out the identity of this book's former owner.

Many thanks,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_3204.JPG

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Re: Bertie on MGB 503

Postby Stephen » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 pm

I think I may have solved this. In Untold Stories of Small Boats at War is a copy of the letter sent by one of the two survivors of the mining of MGB 2002 (the incident in which Mike Marshall lost his life) to a colleague on MGB 2003 (formerly 503). The author of the letter, Thomas Sheehan, names his friend on 2003 as Bert. He also asks Bert about "...Myra, remember me to her, also your mother and family". It sounds as if Myra is Bert's wife rather than any other family member in this context. It makes a good case for the Bertie in my book to be Able Seaman Albert Leonard George Turner.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Norman Hine, the other survivor, in an addition to that letter, requests Bert to "ask old Turner to write and tell the boys to make sure there's some corned dog in your Carley rafts we almost starved to death." Norman Hine is down as having received an award as part of the crew of MGB 503, so was formally part of her crew, as was Able Seaman Albert Leonard George TURNER. When I first saw the name I thought he could be Bert, but of course Norman is asking Bert to speak to him (Turner), so he can't be the one. There are no other members of 503 I'm currently aware of who might fit the bill.

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:39 pm

I see what you mean - very good point. I suppose you could argue that the fact he refers to "old Turner" but everyone else is referred to by christian name might imply there were two Turners, but equally there's theoretically two different authors to these letters and no real proof of anything. Ho hum, just have to wait for the next lead!

Many thanks,
Steve

Return to “Personnel”