Sidney Davis

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Madrob
Seaman

Sidney Davis

Postby Madrob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:38 pm

I know this is a long shot, I am trying to research my grandad, I don't have much information to go on only that he was on mtbs , he was based at great Yarmouth as well as Africa somewhere during ww2.
Sidney Davis from Edlington, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thanks
Rob

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sidney Davis

Postby Admin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Hello Rob

Unfortunately there's no one of that name in the old membership list for the CFVA, which might have provided a head start on the boats he was on. If he was in Africa (West or East) then it would have been on MLs or HDMLs, with the main base of operations in West Africa being Freetown, Sierra Leone, for convoy protection duties. Great Yarmouth (HMS Midge) could conceivably have been 'Dog' Boats. If you don't have any information on him, then you might want to try and get hold of his service record from the Royal Navy Disclosure Cell which would give you the ships or bases he was at and the timeframes, and may give you individual boat numbers too.

Regards
Admin

Madrob
Seaman

Postby Madrob » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:04 am

He was also awarded the Atlantic star and Africa star, just found this out today obviously quizzing my dad.

He was also patrolling off the day landings

Stuart
Leading Seaman

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi Madrob - There is a Davis in a photo of my dad's HDML crew possibly in Ceylon. Don't know what No this boat is. Thread under Motor Launches........ 'ML 916 .... a long shot!' think its 4th page. Could be any Davis though there's no Christian name! Cheers Stu.

Return to “Personnel”