George Leslie Edwards

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
katrina
Seaman

George Leslie Edwards

Postby katrina » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi My dad George Edwards DSM was on gun boats during WWII. His commander was Robert Hitchens. I am looking for anyone who may have more information, photos etc of this time of his life please. I wanted to attach a photo of the crew but cannot work out how to!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: George Leslie Edwards

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Hello Katrina

There is a good book on the subject called Gunboat Command which is still in print that essentially contains the auto-biography of Robert Hichens, with additional commentary provided by his son Antony.

To upload a photograph you can post a reply within this thread and then beneath the text input box you will see a tab labelled ‘Attachments’. When you select that you will get an ‘Add files’ button to upload a file which can then be added to the post.

Regards
Admin

katrina
Seaman

Postby katrina » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi, yes thank you I have both the original autobiography of Robert Hitchens and his son's book Gunboat Command. Both are a very good read and my dad is mentioned several times. I was very sad today to find out that the medals and glassware dad had donated to the Nautical RNA club in Birmingham for display had been sold several years ago to pay their VAT bills! I am now in the process of trying to find them.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:51 am

Katrina

I am sorry to hear the Birmingham Nautical RNA have disposed of your Dad's medals and glassware, which is a very wrong thing to have done with a bequest! I believe it is possible to apply to have medals replaced, but that is not the same as having the originals, and the other items are irreplaceable too. Do you know whether they were auctioned, sold to a private buyer, or passed in some way to Inland Revenue in lieu of payment?

Admin

Return to “Personnel”