An interesting development?

News items of interest to Coastal Forces veterans, or notices concerning veterans' reunions or events
Pioneer

An interesting development?

Postby Pioneer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:34 am

The BMPT website Forum has recently had a posting that contains this interesting link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t3tMm ... sp=sharing
The link is still under development it appears but certainly a welcome addition for any CF enthusiast wishing to view surviving craft.

johnk
Chief Petty Officer

Re: An interesting development?

Postby johnk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:15 am

Hello,

Yes indeed it is, some interesting vessels not heard of, curious that MASB 27 is listed near Chester....I THOUGHT she was with the Childs at Watchet....with MTB 219...nothing heard of late ex Military Boats, did drop a line but...any how, as yo say, for those interested in surviving CF vessels a great tool...all the best.

Johnk

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:24 am

Hello johnk
I understand that she was moved by road to Chester in April 2016?? - maybe the 'Childs Navy' sold her on? :-)

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 am

Hi all,

Glad you like the map. I've been starting to see the familiarity of names both here and on BMPT's forum, so I'll add mine to the list.

I may as well share the link to the website now. The site is still under development, so please don't take the 'final' look as complete. Comments and criticisms (gently given!) are welcome.

http://www.spitfiresofthesea.com/survivors

Regards,
Steve

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:31 pm

PS. MASB 27's new whereabouts are listed in the National Historic Ship's Register. This is the only place I've been able to find this information, but in the absence of any more up to date info, I've gone with it.

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk ... 37/masb-27

johnk
Chief Petty Officer

Postby johnk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Steve,

Many thanks your kind response there...yes clicked on the NHS link there and indeed, at Chester for full? restoration...which is great news, so seems? like it has been passed on by the Childs fleet as you say...full respect regardless for saving to start with, but as we see, trying to restore with HMS Gay Archer on their hands and MTB 219...massive effort as seen to restore the hull to floating condition at Bridgewater there...lets hope to see her and other back at some point soon, thanks again,

Johnk

johnk
Chief Petty Officer

Postby johnk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi Again,

Sorry, still stands for Steve but of course...my thanks also directed to Pioneer! much appreciated,

Johnk

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks Steve for this very useful map. You might like to add that MASB 32 is in Norfolk and there is an Air-Sea Rescue Launch in Southern Spain.
David C.

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm

It appears that MASB 27 is now in the hands of D-Day Revisited. Nothing on their website (http://d-dayrevisited.co.uk/), but a few posts on their Facebook page which is public, so no account needed (https://www.facebook.com/DDayRevisitedO ... f=NEWSFEED). An older post form April states that:
We are very excited to announce a new project we are embarking on this Spring... the restoration of a 75-year-old Motor Anti-Submarine Boat which saw active service during WWII. The vessel was used in clandestine SOE drops on the Brittany coastline and most notably as the guide vessel leading the US Army assault on Omaha Beach. Once restored to its former glory and made seaworthy, this rare MASB will be based in Liverpool's Albert Dock and used to further educate younger generations about this fascinating period in British history.
Whilst a few hull repairs have already taken place to ensure the vessel was fit for travel, yesterday marked the official start of the project as the MASB arrived at our HQ! Royal Navy Veteran, John Dennett, was present to welcome the MASB and wish the restoration team the best of luck. We would like to thank Gillard's Transport Ltd. for their special care in the road journey from Watchet to Hawarden. Also thanks to Colin Butt of Aviation Park Group Ltd for his agreeing to house our gunboat on his airfield during the restoration!
Steve

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I can see that there may have been a later update on Facebook
We're in the process of tucking our little MASB up nice and cosy ahead of the winter chill! This is the last time we'll see her from any distance for a good while, but we are all so excited to get cracking and start bringing her back to life!
masb-undercover.jpg
Photo: Time Line Photo's

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say that's how the news came to me - that post literally just popped up on my feed a few hours ago because I follow them on Facebook.

Does anyone know any more about MASB 27's role on D-Day?

Steve

Return to “News & Events”