Brian Holmes. R.I.P.

Obituary notices for veterans who served with HM Light Coastal Forces
Pioneer

Brian Holmes. R.I.P.

Postby Pioneer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:03 pm

It was a great shock to hear that Brian Holmes had crossed the bar.
Brian,Cox'n of the Medusa, was a serious contributor to this website, his accurate and detailed contributions will be sorely missed.
Not much is known of the circumstances of Brian's passing - I will update this sad post when they become known
RIP Brian

Pioneer

Re: Brian Holmes. R.I.P.

Postby Pioneer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Alan Watson. owner of the 'Medusa', has passed this over:

"I have to pass on the sad news that Brian Holmes has passed away. A few days silence from him on e-mail and phone lead to increasing concern and when he did not show up for Medusa trips over the last two days plus a concerned call from his sister, I contacted the police. They found him in his flat in bed, having passed away peacefully.

As you all know, Brian has been with Medusa for over 30 years and the ship was a major part of his life. Much of what we know of her past is down to Brian’s diligent research over many years and the HDML database on the website is down to him. Brian has been Medusa’s cox’n for many years and hearing “Cox’n on the wheel” was reassuring as it meant helm orders would be obeyed flawlessly which was a great relief when manoeuvring in tight spaces. Brian suffered a stroke 10 years ago and though he made a great recovery has not been well in recent times. We will all remember him for his dedication to the ship and possibly his skill as a painter. Brian’s only family is a sister in Hull.

I will keep you all informed of the next steps but, at some point, we will raise a glass and wish a shipmate fair winds and following seas."

Pioneer

Re: Brian Holmes. R.I.P.

Postby Pioneer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:57 pm

Brian's funeral will be held on Wednesday 16th August at 1.15 pm at Portchester Crematorium. Details of how to get there can be found on the following link

http://www.portchestercrematorium.org/c ... tro.aspx

Return to “Obituary Notices”