Calculating the speed of an MTB

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB)
Bob Pearson
Able Seaman

Calculating the speed of an MTB

Postby Bob Pearson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I am trying to work out the time it would take for MTB 675 to travel 400 nautical miles on one or possibly two engines from the Norwegian coast - 30 miles west of Askvoll - to Dunbar, just south of Edinburgh. Obviously the weather conditions would have been a factor, but a general calculation would suffice.

My initial thoughts are that it would be around 40 hours if travelling at 10 knots, but not sure if that is accurate enough. One report gives 8 hours - 'Above Us the Waves' by Warren and Benson, but this seems a long way out. I would warmly welcome any guidance on this one.

Many thanks,

Bob

iainmorse
Seaman

Re: Calculating the speed of an MTB

Postby iainmorse » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi
can you help in relation to MTB evasion tactics when under air attack and also the distance required to take sharp turns at speed?
best iain morse

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Calculating the speed of an MTB

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 pm

I am trying to work out the time it would take for MTB 675 to travel 400 nautical miles on one or possibly two engines from the Norwegian coast - 30 miles west of Askvoll - to Dunbar, just south of Edinburgh. Obviously the weather conditions would have been a factor, but a general calculation would suffice.
Hello Bob

I believe I have one or two written pieces by crew members who made the Shetland – Norway run on occasion which may have discussed things like average journey times and speeds, so I will try and look them up and post later.

Admin

Return to “Motor Torpedo Boats”