Bloodhound

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB)
stumpyden
Seaman

Bloodhound

Postby stumpyden » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello everyone
Hi all... Being a newbie to your forum i'm intested in MTB and found i think a odd one.. I need advise on researching a vessel that i am about to build (R/C model).Its a Motor Torpedo Developement vessel called Bloodhound......hoping someone can point me in the right direction
Regards Denis

Pioneer

Re: Bloodhound

Postby Pioneer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm

‘Bloodhound’ was built by Vosper to the Admiralty order of CP BR 8A/28281/37 in October 1937. She was designated as an ‘MTDV’ (mobile torpedo discharge vessel). She was built to a 68ft design having a single 21” trainable Torpedo tube mounted amidships just aft of a small wheelhouse.
She was powered by 2 French Lorraine ‘Orion’ petrol engines of 1600bhp giving her a max speed 25 knts. Used solely as a Torpedo discharge test craft, she was wrecked on the 31 Jan 1943 at Bincleaves and declared a total loss.

There was a second ‘Bloodhound’ (built by Thorneycroft – Singapore) she was lost when Japanese forces overran the area in 1942

There is an outline drawing of the Vosper craft in 'Allied Coastal Forces of WW2" Volume 2 by John Lambert & Al Ross (page 31) - a good Library should have a copy

stumpyden
Seaman

Postby stumpyden » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Pioneer
Thank you for the imfo that is so helpful and i'm gratefull to you..One problem is the plans i got show 2 torpedo tubes aft'so are they wrong'because if i go to a stand off show with the finished vessel i will look daft if its wrong.....Regards Denis
PS i will be at the library on Monday to investergate more

cdsc123
Sub Lieutenant

Postby cdsc123 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Denis

The 2 torpedoes aft are shown stowed ready for insertion into the single launcher mounted amidships.

Regards, Christian.

stumpyden
Seaman

Postby stumpyden » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi
Thank you for that i looked at the plans more closely and yes your right thank you again for pointing me in the right direction...

Return to “Motor Torpedo Boats”