MTB P1602 Model Found

Forum dedicated to the subject of scale modelling, with an opportunity for modellers to showcase something of their finely detailed work
Dave Mills
Chief Petty Officer

MTB P1602 Model Found

Postby Dave Mills » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 pm

I discovered the 1950 built model of the experimental aluminium hulled MTB P1602 built at Saunders-Roe Anglesey. Launched in 1948 and lost in a storm while on tow for repairs in 1952 she had a very short life. The label states the model was made by M Stone in 1950. I had heard rumours of a possible model of her and was delighted to discover it at the Holyhead Maritime Museum a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping to borrow it when I give a talk on MTB P1602 (MTB 539) on 6th December 2011 to the Gwynedd Engineering Society in Bangor.
The model appears to be 1/48 scale based on the original being 75 ft overall length. It was stored on top of a glass display cabinet with very little light to photograph it, hence the rather flat light. I'm hoping to have it taken down for some decent photos shortly. Dave Mills
Attachments
IMG_4915A-CFV.jpg
Model of MTB P1602 built by M Stone 1950

stevegreen54
Seaman

Re: MTB P1602 Model Found

Postby stevegreen54 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 am

My late Father was Acting Chief ERA on the MTB P1602, he always spoke with pride of this boat, fast furious and fragile would be my summary, tales of limping back into Hornet MTB base in the late 40's after sea trials - every seam leaking, allumium rivetted boat and a dock yard workers despair apparently - 40-50knts across the back of the Isle of Wight aledgedly, 3 merlin Aero engines, hi-octane fuel - fastest boat in RN claim I'd be intrested to hear validated or disputed. I have several photos which I can share, one lovely one at speed. Stories of experimental "G" force seats for crews that didn't work and such like to daily hi-jinx at the base.
My late Uncle was Chief ERA on the sister boat P1601 or P1603 at the same time, hence my dad met my mum, this was the very first gas turbine boat apparently, I'd really like to explore this history further, I'm told this engine is now in the British science museum, yet to visit.
My dad wrote his memoirs thru the 90's and it has an MTB section I can post on the site if anyone wishes.
We sailed to/from Hornet (original jetties) in the seventies on his wooden sail boat. Anyone who would like more info can contact me on my personal email - stevegreen54@aol.com / I work overseas.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am

Welcome aboard 'stevegreen54', nice to hear from you. We hope that you enjoy all that this web site has to offer.

Member David Mills has posted several images of MTB 1602 in this Forum as you may know, while his personal web site illustrates his own passion for this particular craft.
Please feel free to upload your images, I'm sure that all would like to see more of this very interesting vessel.

For your information - MTB 509 later P2009, a Camper Nicholson design, was the worlds first GT powered vessel; having the 'Gatric' gas turbine engine fitted to the centre shaft in the mid '40s.
HMS Grey Goose, ex SGB 9, had 2 Rolls Royce RB gas turbine engines fitted 1950.
Regards

Dave Mills
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Dave Mills » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Steve, it's great to hear about your family connections and the stories your father remembered about this fragile boat. She was powered by three Packard 4M-2500 (W14) 1,500 hp V12 supercharged petrol engines like the American PT boats and the early 50's Royal Navy Gay Class (the last to use them).
I have records of P1602 travelling at over 40 knots at 2,500 RPM until the ROTOL hydraulically controlled variable pitch props failed with dramatic consequences! She suffered this problem at least twice. She also suffered ignition failure and finally an exhaust pipe explosion that caused her to take on water. This was patched up before her final trip back to Anglesey for repairs and then being lost in a force 10 off North Anglesey (about 20 miles from the factory).
It's quite a story altogether. I'm hoping to have an article published some time in Warship World.
Attachments
1602 controls.jpg
P1602 Controls (Throttle and VP props)
b 539 Packard engines 1.jpg
Packard V12 petrol engines in P1602

Dave Mills
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Dave Mills » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm

See a new photo of P1602 from Steve Green in the Fast Patrol Boat section under MTB 539 (P1602)
Last edited by Admin on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link added to facilitate access

Return to “Coastal Forces Models”