Commercially available kits

Forum dedicated to the subject of scale modelling, with an opportunity for modellers to showcase something of their finely detailed work
Jaime
Seaman

Commercially available kits

Postby Jaime » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Apart from the old Airfix Vosper MTB - which I think is now discontinued - and the Revell US PT boats and German S-Boot, does anyone know of any commercially available kits of Royal Navy coastal forces boats? It would be great if I could get hold of a 1:72nd scale kit of a motor launch

Pioneer

Re: Commercially available kits

Postby Pioneer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Did you not read RogerP's previous post? Here, It appears that there are a couple of kits that he is impressed with.

Regards

Jaime
Seaman

Postby Jaime » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Yes thanks - perhaps I should have been more specific with my post or added it to that thread - I've added a link to photos of the kit in question there anyway.

I'm really asking about a motor launch rather than the sexier MTBs & MGBs which that thread focusses on. By 'commercial' I suppose I mean injection moulded plastic kits - something produced by one of the 'major' manufacturers or one of the many Eastern European manufacturers that produce the more unusual versions of planes & boats. I haven't found anything yet but wondered if any existed. I did find this:

http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/20mm_World ... ry--5.html

but it looks like the models lack the refinement of the 'Airfix type' kits.

RogerP
Chief Petty Officer

Postby RogerP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello 'Jaime',

At this stage I think it unlikely a 1/72nd plastic Fairmile B ML would ever be produced, I say unlikely but I guess we should say it could be possible if enough people pestered the model companies. You may have seen my posts re the card models I've been 'tinkering' with mainly at this stage in the smaller 1/144th scale. I have now done the 'B' in resin and while my preference is to supply made up models I can supply a kit if need be. In fact a chap in the US has asked for two kits so he can make a 'generic' RN 'B' and one of the US interim 'sub chaser' types. The USN apparently had eight Fairmile B's built in Canada. I don't have the computer expertise to do proper illustrated instructions, the best I can do is supply what info/photo's I have to help the builder once we have established which ML he wishes to make and this governs what parts/weapons etc I include in the package.

Now, your preference is 1/72nd and I can say I have been 'tinkering' with rescaling the card parts up to this larger scale and I think they should come out nicely. Ones I've partly made include a 'B', a Fairmile C class MGB, a US Sub Chaser and I did start a card Vosper MTB. I have seen the Grand Manner kits before, not in the flesh just photo's so not sure about their quality and if they are in fact 1/72nd scale, I think they are a slightly different scale which is probably why I haven't bought one...............yet.

My e-mail address is -- debrogerp@hotmail.com if you care to make contact.

Return to “Coastal Forces Models”