HMS Dark Biter's 40mm Bofors

Post-war development of Coastal Forces craft covering the Proud, Bold, Gay, Dark or Brave Class boats, as well as experimental craft
Chrisdy
Seaman

HMS Dark Biter's 40mm Bofors

Postby Chrisdy » Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm

I have a 1/24 model of HMS Dark Biter and am planning on adding crew figures. However, I am unclear how the 40mm Bofors was manned. Was it remotely controlled, and just had a loader, or was there a seated gunner as well? All attempts to search the net have drawn a blank on this, so I am hoping someone on this very relevant site may be able to help. If anyone has a photograph, or can describe the crew of the Bofors on a Dark class boat I would be most grateful.

Pioneer

Re: HMS Dark Biter's 40mm Bofors

Postby Pioneer » Sun May 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello 'Chrisdy' Welcome aboard

Although the Dark class never saw action, you are correct, there were two main components to a 40mm Gun crew (with possibly a third to bring ammunition from a ready use Locker). The Gun Layer/Trainer/Firer would be seated on the Port Side with the Gun Loader standing on a platform on the St'bd side, the Mk 7 Mounting being electrically powered.
I have yet to see a photo of a Dark firing the Bofors

As you will know the Racks could stow several clips of 40mm shells but these would soon be depleted if action were to take place, hence maybe the need for the third person?

Regards

Chrisdy
Seaman

Re: HMS Dark Biter's 40mm Bofors

Postby Chrisdy » Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 pm

Many thanks for the info Pioneer. That might explain the complete absence of pictures. Perhaps having a gun crew on the model wouldn't therefore actually be prototypical, although they must have test fired the gun at some point. All the pictures I could find of firing a bofors are of an army version, or the multi-barrelled naval version, and neither seem to fit the parts shown on this model version, since the seated firer and the cage for the loader seem to be on the same side (port). It may be the parts of the Bofors for the kit might be missing a couple of key aspects for simplicity. I might try the kit suppliers and see if they can help. Thanks again.

Return to “Fast Patrol Boats”