Any information on Operation Biting?

Discussions relating to actions or operations, including combined operations, involving Coastal Forces boats or flotillas
ColinH
Seaman

Any information on Operation Biting?

Postby ColinH » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Op. Biting seems to be a slightly 'lost' operation for information. There is plenty referring to Op. Jubilee but as Biting was , I think, the first joint operation with Navy, Air Force, Paras and Commandos, and successful at that, I am surprised it seems to have been rather overlooked.
I am, of course, biased in that my father was telegrapher on MGB 312 which played its part in the removal of the radar parts.
One thing that I keep wondering about, is that on a couple of sites, MGB 312 was is not listed although I know it to have been present. As it was this boat that was used by Preist and Cox, the scientists, to receive the radar parts from the raiders, I wondered whether it was still on special training right up to the actual raid and therefore was not listed anywhere until after the event?! No idea myself, I'm just trying to fill in a few odd holes in the story.

Anyone have a suggestion or any more information to add here?

My father's service record is on the World Naval ships site here which may be of interest to some.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/s ... hp?t=16138

Thanks Colin
Last edited by Admin on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarification

Pioneer

Re: Any information on Operation Biting?

Postby Pioneer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 am

Hello Colin, welcome aboard.
Operation Biting is reported in some detail on the Combined Operations website, as you will probably know, but the RN's CF contingent is not identified.
Some of our readers may not be able to view your father's Service Record as The World Naval Ships Forums require you to be Registered and 'signed in' to that Forum before being able to view any postings etc.
If you can re-post them here there is no such requirement to view.

Return to “Actions & Operations”