MTB 2016 trip after WW2

Discussions relating to actions or operations, including combined operations, involving Coastal Forces boats or flotillas
ColinH
Seaman

MTB 2016 trip after WW2

Postby ColinH » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm

In the process of making some sense of my father's service which, of course, didn't give too much away. I am now reading through a load of letters he sent my mother mainly from his draft at HMS Melampus, Gambia. Again very little to go on there but at the end of the war when security was not so tight he mentions a trip he made whilst on MTB 2016.
During the trip the boat visited Amsterdam (I think via the canals), then Alkmaar and Den Helden. On to Cuxhaven in Germany then up to Copenhagen and return to home waters. On to Plymouth, Swansea, Gloucester, Manchester Ship Canal to Runcorn.
Does anyone know whether this type of trip was for just 'showing the flag' after the awful times recently experienced or more of a formal security visit to various locations - or just to keep the boats in 'ship shape'? I would say the trip took place between June and September 1946. Just curious - it would fill in another little spot.
Last edited by Admin on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adjusted title for better search engine optimisation by separating boat type and number

Pioneer

Re: MTB 2016 trip after WW2

Postby Pioneer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Yes, post war there were several trips made by RN vessels around the UK to 'show the flag' as a recruitment drive. With the demob of Hostilities Only personnel there were fears of a shortage of manpower, the Cold War having just begun.

MTB 2016, a Camper Nicholson design, had several changes to her pennant number having started her life as MTB 516. Our Boat Database lists the changes made - just type in the number 516.

Return to “Actions & Operations”