Mystery Raid in Northern Denmark

Discussions relating to actions or operations, including combined operations, involving Coastal Forces boats or flotillas
53Marine
Seaman

Mystery Raid in Northern Denmark

Postby 53Marine » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:42 am

While conducting research on an 8th AF B-17 crew, that was forced to ditch on 25 Aug 1944, I came across an account related to the rescued crewmen by members of RML 514 that rescued them.

They happened to be in the area after escaping from a raid gone bad that had occurred during the previous few days. It is possible that RML 514 was the only survivor of the raid, which was supposed to have been a submarine pen in Northern Denmark.

Does anyone have information regarding this raid? What the actual target may have been? What other boats may have been involved?

Stephen
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Mystery Raid in Northern Denmark

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 am

I'm afraid I can't offer much assistance. As far as I'm aware, there were no commando raids on Denmark during the war, nor were there any submarine pens there. The only commando raids I know of in August 1944 were in France, largely to support Normandy operations. If there were a raid on a significant target in Denmark that inflicted such casualties that only one vessel returned, I'd expect to see more about it in published sources. But a look through a few of my books reveals noting I'm afraid.

Is it possible that RML 514 was on station in the North Sea during an air raid on Denmark?

Steve

Return to “Actions & Operations”