CFMU1 Ostend & Walcheren Island

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
Jaime
Seaman

CFMU1 Ostend & Walcheren Island

Postby Jaime » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:08 pm

My grandfather, served in CFMU1 in Ostend. The base was located in a hotel in Louisastraat - the photographs in my post here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=278 were taken outside the hotel.

Does anyone know what the name of the hotel was? An Ostend newspaper archivist has helpfully confirmed the street name for us but we don't know the name of the hotel and my grandfather can't remember.

My grandfather has also confirmed that his ML flotilla was sent to Walcheren Island in 1944. I don't know if this was a dedicated CF base but the base ship for that location was an old paddle steamer called the Thames Queen. A photograph of it during wartime can be found here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/tom.lee/thamesq1942.htm

Pioneer

Re: CFMU1 Ostend & Walcheren Island

Postby Pioneer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

HMS Thames Queen was originally listed as an accommodation ship. She was hired during 1939 and converted to an AA gun ship. In 1942-43 she is listed as being at Yarmouth and then Antwerp (1944) being restored to owner during February 1947.

Must have been temporary movements in the Ostend - Walcheren Island area ??

Admin
Site Admin

Re: CFMU1 Ostend & Walcheren Island

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:56 pm

Given the name Louisastraat is the correct location then the best bet may be old postcards if there are any sites on that subject. Looking at Ostend in Google Maps and using streetview (drag the little orange figure at left on to the street) Louisastraat is a quite a long street running part of the length of the city centre, and there have obviously been a lot of changes made since the war with sixties architecture and later buildings added, so there is nothing that stands out. The pillars seen in one of the photos for example are doubtless long gone. Common sense says it was most likely located at the top end of the street nearest to the harbour.

Louisastraat, Oostende in Google Maps

Return to “General Organisation”