Uniform in general use by MTB crews

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
kenjoyce
Able Seaman

Re: Uniform in general use by MTB crews

Postby kenjoyce » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Could have been in July, August or September, sorry I can't give a closer estimate. Lt Cdr Wilkie was definitely in command. I have looked at maps over the years and feel that the river must have been the Loire. I think the mine damaged boat must have been from the same flotilla, the 64th.

You could likely think I am mad but I have another recollection for you. On board we had a Medical Officer, I took him a mug of Kye while he was leaning on probably the mast. He was very sorry for himself and spoke a few words to me and I am sure the gist was that he was suddenly put on board and on that day he had been due to be married!

( From time to time I do remember many incidents from my time in the Navy, especially Coastal Forces both in the Channel and also whilst on ML 269 in Burma - terrible when this happens whilst I'm in bed as then there is no chance of getting to sleep()

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:19 am

I'll do my best and see if I can find out anything. Were there any attempts made to go ashore or did it mainly appear to be reconnaissance? Sounds like it could have been an interesting honeymoon for the medical officer under different circumstances :-)

dinger149
Seaman

Postby dinger149 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:54 am

Well my old Dad as long passed over the bar! so here is another. duffel coats. he was wearing one on a pub visit in Yarmouth I think "not that strange to him" LOL. when a Dutch skipper kept giving him some admiring look-overs.Dad said you like? oh yes good on the bridge that keep you warm! yes but only issued to special forces says dad very rare.

yes yes says skipper. you sell? very hard to do says dad will cost a lot!. how much says skipper?. £5 SAYS Dad! "OK" says skipper. soon after he owns a new coat.

Geometric
Seaman

Postby Geometric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Great pictures! It would be nice to find out more of their history, especially the crew shot at the top. Is it possible to get in touch with John Mercer via the forum? Thanks!

Return to “General Organisation”