RNPS

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
christopher walton
Seaman

RNPS

Postby christopher walton » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:10 am

Does anyone know anything about John Norgett JX222669? He enlisted as OS on 01/10/1940 and was posted to HMS Europa and qualified as a hydrophone listener.
He then joined HMS De La Pole FY558 armed mine sweeping trawler out of HMS Minos then HMS Negro MV717 (12/3/41-4/6/41). He then went on to King Alfred (Sub Lt) and Combined Operations at HMS Quebec (Lt) landing craft duty from 30/8/43. No record after this until demobbed 27/4/46 but anecdotal evidence, family history and wartime photos suggest its likely he served in Italian landings and Burma.
Any info that will fill in the gaps would be helpful.
Thank you.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: RNPS

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Hello Christopher

Thank you for your enquiry to our forum. As you are no doubt aware Europa was the main base for the Royal Navy Patrol Service (RNPS), whose makeup and role was somewhat different to that of Coastal Forces, as the minesweeping trawlers were working hard to keep the East Coast channel clear for north south convoys, as well as for the movement of the Royal Navy's capital ships from their bases in places like Rosyth to manoeuvre safely south. There is an account of the work involved at the start of Gunboat Command, the biography of Robert Hichens, who went on from working on minesweeping initially to become a famous commander of Coastal Forces MGBs, and Coastal Convoys 1939-1945: The Indestructible Highway provides a very good account of this important, but somewhat overlooked aspect of the War.

Although the work of the RNPS intersected at times with that of Coastal Forces in MLs, MGBs and MTBs, and they shared some of the East Coast bases, they were two different entities, so unfortunately I don't have any information I can give you, but other readers may be able to contribute something. Similarly, Combined Operations at times embodied elements of Coastal Forces, usually in providing close inshore covering fire, or delivery of commandos, but being as your subject was with Landing Craft, again we don't hold much detailed information on that. Landing craft were certainly used during the campaign to oust the Japanese from Burma, and Coastal Forces were there too, and so the broader books on those subjects may contain the odd reference. I ran a quick search for him in the London Gazette to see if I could turn up any award for him, but didn't manage to find anything.

Regards
Admin

johnk
Chief Petty Officer

Postby johnk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello there,

Just seen this latest, little to add really, but indeed RNPS as you rightly say of course, not Coastal Forces, I worked on an old Motor Mine sweeper laid up at Isle of Grain on the River Medway, number 191, was trying to be preserved by a Rev. Michael Melvin, who had served during the war on them, thence to the RAF post war, having got bored in civilian life, thence a minister in the Church of Scotland, conducted scattering of ashes for old comrades, for a small donation to the project, which I helped with once rowing out small dinghy from the sweeper, no one had a camera, so used one shot left on mine, film camera not digital as now!. Rev Melvin crossed the bar some years ago, and vessel broken up, albeit he was told before that it would be preserved in Essex where he hailed from, sure meant in good faith but not to be....

Johnk

christopher walton
Seaman

Postby christopher walton » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello Christopher

Thank you for your enquiry to our forum. As you are no doubt aware Europa was the main base for the Royal Navy Patrol Service (RNPS), whose makeup and role was somewhat different to that of Coastal Forces, as the minesweeping trawlers were working hard to keep the East Coast channel clear for north south convoys, as well as for the movement of the Royal Navy's capital ships from their bases in places like Rosyth to manoeuvre safely south. There is an account of the work involved at the start of Gunboat Command, the biography of Robert Hichens, who went on from working on minesweeping initially to become a famous commander of Coastal Forces MGBs, and Coastal Convoys 1939-1945: The Indestructible Highway provides a very good account of this important, but somewhat overlooked aspect of the War.

Although the work of the RNPS intersected at times with that of Coastal Forces in MLs, MGBs and MTBs, and they shared some of the East Coast bases, they were two different entities, so unfortunately I don't have any information I can give you, but other readers may be able to contribute something. Similarly, Combined Operations at times embodied elements of Coastal Forces, usually in providing close inshore covering fire, or delivery of commandos, but being as your subject was with Landing Craft, again we don't hold much detailed information on that. Landing craft were certainly used during the campaign to oust the Japanese from Burma, and Coastal Forces were there too, and so the broader books on those subjects may contain the odd reference. I ran a quick search for him in the London Gazette to see if I could turn up any award for him, but didn't manage to find anything.

Regards
Admin
Thank you for this.
Yes, I understand the difference between RNPS and the Coastal Services but I thought a long shot might be worthwhile. My father was based at HMS Minos, Lowestoft in late 1940 which was, I believe, a Coastal Forces base when serving on the mine sweeping trawler HMS De La Pole.
Perhaps something will turn up.
Christopher

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello Christopher

I have passed your enquiry to a friend whose father was a RNVR Lieutenant based at Lowestoft. He may be able to help you. You might also like to look at http://www.rnpsa.co.uk/history.htm
David C.

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello Christopher

Would you like to talk direct to my friend leo Whistock on rnpsa@theharbour.fsbusiness.co.uk. He will be able to assist with your enquiry.

David C.

christopher walton
Seaman

Postby christopher walton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Hello David
Thank you very much for your reply.
I shall email Leo Whitstock immediately.
Kind regards and thank you again
Christopher

christopher walton
Seaman

Postby christopher walton » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello David
I'm in contact with Leo and, as you said, he has been most helpful.
Kind regards
Christpher

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks Christopher

Return to “General Organisation”