Shore Base Puzzle

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
Peano-55
Seaman

Shore Base Puzzle

Postby Peano-55 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can please help me with the name of the shore establishment on the attached photo?
Probably looks similar to many of the time (circa 1945?), but I was hoping the rather distinctive shoe box like building in the right background, with what looks like stair wells in the corners, may spark a memory?

Many thanks,
Attachments
crew-of-mtb-769-hms-mantis-lowestoft.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shore Base Puzzle

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:12 am

I believe that's HMS Mantis at Lowestoft. Do you have a boat number for the crew shot please?
mgbs-at-hms-mantis-lowestoft.jpg
MGBs at HMS Mantis, Lowestoft
mgbs-at-hms-mantis-lowestoft.jpg (57.53 KiB) Viewed 259 times
THE ROYAL NAVY DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR. © IWM (A 14911) IWM Non Commercial License

Peano-55
Seaman

Postby Peano-55 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello Admin,

That's excellent! Thank you.

The number on the back of the photo is 769 so I guess the boat is MTB or MGB 769?
I think the boat is a Fairmile D?

Thanks

Bill

Manty769
Seaman

Postby Manty769 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:13 am

How fabulous to find this crew photo.
Never seen my Dad in his Navy Uniform and here we have the whole crew, and such a clear photo.
One for framing.
Dad was Robert J Mant and was PO MM on 769 (2nd Officer on the left as you look at the pic.)
I believe I also have his old toolbox in my garage which he told me he had in the navy.
He never said much about his service, just a couple of snippets.
Believe the Skipper was Wilfred Norman Dyal if what I have read is correct.
Funnily enough this is at HMS Mantis (his surname Mant) and their boat was built in Burnham on Crouch where I have sailed and assist with race managemnt on the Crouch.
Thank you for posting this photo it has really made my year.

Return to “General Organisation”