HMML to Q boat

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
JOHNB
Able Seaman

HMML to Q boat

Postby JOHNB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 am

Some of the ML had their designation changes from ML *** to Q ***. Could any one enlighten me as to why this happened as I thought all Q designations were for the Canadian MLs.

Many thanks JB :?

Pioneer

Re: HMML to Q boat

Postby Pioneer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Hello JOHNB
According to this Naval Pennants web page all Royal Navy craft had an identity category letter. Scroll down to the bottom of page and you will see the letters allocated to Coastal Forces craft.

JOHNB
Able Seaman

Postby JOHNB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Pioneer,

Many thanks for the link, but I am still confused? For example in the book Allied Coastal Forces Of WW11 there are illustrations of British Fairmile Bs that are numbered ML *** and on the next page Fairmile Bs numbered Q ***. Were they launched as ML then changed to Q or were they launched as Q designation? :? :? I always thought all British Fairmile Bs were ML and all Canadian Fairmiles were Q. :( :?

Best Regards John

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Hello again JOHNB
I would think that the complete answer may be difficult to get - as you say "Allied Coastal Forces of WW2" show various examples of this anomaly of ML and Q - it possibly was an easy way to visually ID the type of craft.
Radio comm's would normally give the Flag Superior pennant in transmissions etc and if operating within a flotilla, a visual confirmation may be required. Apart from the Canadian MLs, the painted "Q" on Hulls in the European theatre may have been a later War requirement - there are photos of the D day landings showing MLs with Q

JOHNB
Able Seaman

Postby JOHNB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:34 am

Once again Pioneer many thanks.

Not being RN has many set backs when trying to work out what the whole set-up was. But I'll keep plodding away, its that much easier when you have kind people helping you out, thank you.

John

Return to “General Organisation”