Abbreviations

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
JOHNB
Able Seaman

Abbreviations

Postby JOHNB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:44 am

Could any one let me know the rank S.D. This was a person serving on a motor launch.

Also is there a list of RN rank abbreviations anywhere?

Regards JB :?

Pioneer

Re: Abbreviations

Postby Pioneer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:03 pm

Hello again 'JOHNB'
You will find a very large list Here - Rating ranks are about halfway down. Not sure about S.D. but noticed that SB could also mean 'Signal Boy' :lol:

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Further to the above John - here is an image from an old Royal Navy book circ 1944/5. The illustrations at 25. 26. are for a 'Submarine Detector Operater and Submarine Detector Instructor. Your S.D ??
Attachments
Navy Badges.jpg
Navy Badges.jpg (363.09 KiB) Viewed 22885 times

JOHNB
Able Seaman

Postby JOHNB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Pioneer,

Once again many thanks. I am re building my web site and in re doing things i keep finding small bits I do not understand, I spent a couple of years with the Green Jackets then Shaw Saville for a year so no RN experience.

In some notes on the crew of ML 115 is a passage "The S.D. Able Seaman Hully had been awarded the D.S.M. for his part in the destruction of a U boat in the Mediterranean" Now I can think of many terms that the lower deck would use but the Coxswain wrote this note.

Yes I followed your link but I had been browsing that a couple of hours earlier and no S.D.?

Hi I think we might be on here together JB

JOHNB
Able Seaman

Postby JOHNB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:20 pm

10 out of 10 pioneer.

He was on a training ML at HMS Seahawk.

But when he got his award he must have been on a destroyer or similar as Seedies Coastal Command book does not list him.

Many thanks for all your help JB

Return to “General Organisation”