Research Coastal Forces

Discussions relating to the day-to-day running of Light Coastal Forces; shore establishments and mobile bases; command structure; strategy and tactics; training and logistics etc
JOHNB
Able Seaman

Research Coastal Forces

Postby JOHNB » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 am

Hi All,

I am in the process of re-building my web site. I have chased that many dead end I am about to melt down. :shock:

If there is anyone in this organization who served, knew a crew member, knows anything about the following Coastal Forces Bases PLEASE contact me HMS Seahawk, HMS Nimrod, HMS Dolphin, HMS Mosquito(Nile).
Also any info on ML115, ML 223, Ml 472, Ml 489 Ml 1029, H33, H31, H34, (Subs).

O K Now I will Cross My Fingers and wait :roll: Please remember like most reading this my span on this globe is becoming limited. History not written is soon forgotten! :?

If Interested the old site is http://people.aapt.net.au/~jburchell/HMS%20Seahawk.html
OK in the URL delete %20 and just put a gap in between HMS Seahawk.

Thanks for reading this sorry if I'm a pain but officialdom knows nothing.

JB

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Research Coastal Forces

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:03 am

Hello John

Just for your information, you need to keep the %20 in the url—though browsers will put it back in anyway—as you are not allowed spaces in web file names, whether html or image files. Sea Hawk either needs to be written as seahawk or better still sea-hawk as Google and other search engines are able to match hyphenated words like sea-hawk to a user's search for Sea Hawk.

Regards

Admin

JOHNB
Able Seaman

Postby JOHNB » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 am

Thanks Admin, I've spent the last year studiously deleting the %20 and putting in a space whenever I sent a link thinking it would not work with that in it. :?
The rebuilt site will not suffer the same problems :shock: :shock:

I learn a little more each day then each night my memory gets reformatted. :wink:

Thanks again JB

drumahair
Seaman

Postby drumahair » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi John
I am researching my dad tom Harrison jx421524 he was based at nile mosquito from may 44 till aug 45
I believe it was a repair base for mtb/ml but I also think there were other functions carried out from there.
my father died in 1957 and was still a rnvr at the time. my mother who is still with us :) tells me he would never talk much about what he did during this period. what intrigues me is my uncle told me that my dad was captured by the japanese but escaped after two days with a mate who was a coxson it seems they were put ashore from a m/l and something happened to prevent a pick up. there is no mention in the discharge papers regarding the japanese theatre of war. but my uncle is adamant that it happened. so anything you find out about mosquito nile my help.
I am sending off for his naval record in the hope there may be more information within it.

regards Joe.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello Joe

Coastal Forces did operate MLs out in Burma as part of the Arakan Campaign to oust the Japanese, and some additional crews were shipped there after hostilities in Europe ceased, to reinforce the units already there. The details the Royal Navy still holds may shed some light on what his complete postings were. I presume you saw it, but I moved your earlier post to its own thread under Tom Harrison within Personnel in case of specific replies from others.

Admin

Return to “General Organisation”