MGB 658

Motor Gunboats (MGB) & Steam Gunboats (SGB)
Gail
Seaman

Re: MGB 658

Postby Gail » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:19 am

Thank you to CHine for posting the photos from my father's album (Stanley).

Just as I was showing dad the website - I was also able to show him your photos too, Jonco. Amazingly - dad then related that he would have been on MTB 634 shown in your photo at that time, as he was requested by Tim Bligh - along with 'Johnny Peglar' - telegraphist, to join him on MTB 634. (Dad was radar operator).

He went on to say that Johnny Peglar was awarded the DSM for action to do with a 'fire-extinguisher especially for electrics' - but dad was unable to continue.

Best regards,
Gail

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Sorry I've just realised a slight error in the information I gave above regarding the boat commanders. The list should read:

MTB 634 (Lt. W.E.A. Blount DSC, with S.O. Lt.Cdr. T. Bligh DSO, DSC embarked)
MTB 651 (Lt. L. Ennis, RNVR)
MTB 670 (Lt. E. Hewitt, DSC)

Gail
Seaman

Postby Gail » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks Admin- that fits with what my dad Stanley was saying! 'Bligh was on 662 along with Blount as his first leuitenant, then transferred onto 634 where Blount was in command.'

Regards
Gail

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 am

Thanks Gail for the extra pieces of info...

I haven't done much research into war medals (yet!), but these are the medals my Grandfather received. Are these typical of a RN service?
KOH - WW2 Medals.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:56 am

Hello chine

Yes those look fairly standard. I make them out to be:

Africa Star (for service off North Africa)
Atlantic Star (Home Waters service)
1939-45 Star (General Service)
Italy Star (Sicily, Bari, Ancona etc)
War Medal (General Service)

I think the only other general service/campaign medals Coastal Forces personnel would have picked up would be the Burma Star, for service in the Far East, and the France & Germany Star, which was for fighting in Europe from D-Day onwards while based on the continent. So for example, that wouldn't have included men based at Felixstowe or Great Yarmouth fighting off the French or Dutch coasts throughout the War, but would have included those same units fighting off the Dutch Coast while based at Ostend in early 1945.

This is a good general guide to Second World War campaign colours.

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:16 am

Thanks for the info Admin... That's all great stuff.

Oh, and Gail - looking forward to more photos/info/stories!

bansheebuzz
Seaman

Postby bansheebuzz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:45 am

Hi my name is Mark Burrows from Australia. My grandfather served on 658 and i just discovered this thread!. His name was Albert (bert) Owen Burrows. He was a mechanic in charge of the engine room as i remember. Unfortunatly he passed away in 2001 at the age of 77. I can tell you he was awarded 6 medal during this period inc

Distinguished serve medal
Africa star
Italy star
Atlantic star
39-45 star
War medal

He did tell me stories when i was younger that he lined the hull with wet matresses so that when they were in battle the shells coming through the hull would cool as they passed through the matress to prevent possibly igniting fuel vapors in the engine room. He also told me that when going into battle he would lay between the engine blocks because that was the safest place in the engine room when shells where coming through the hull.

He also told me of one night when he was on deck and enemy fire came throufh the night and killed his crew mate right infront of me.

Thanks for the info on here!

Gail
Seaman

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello Bansheebuzz - Mark,

Thank you for posting your information and recollections of your grandfather on 658. This topic becomes ever more amazing with the coincidences it generates.

I asked my father this evening if he knew someone called Bert on 658. 'Ooh Bert! Now don't tell me his surname...' Dad pondered for a few moments......'Burrows! Bert Burrows!' Dad remebers your grandfather well. He was the ' leading mechanic' under Petty Officer Bill Last. The fascinating coincidence is that all the photos in my father's album - some of those that have been posted on this site- were taken by your grandfather, Bert! No-one else had a camera- Bert was the photographer and developed the photos himself on board 658! Dad said to make sure I tell you that your grandfather was a very gifted man.

Best wishes,
Gail (and Stanley)

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 am

Hi Mark Burrows

How interesting! Love hearing stories like that... Do you have anything from your late father of interest? Diaries or maybe some photos he took (or of him etc?)

That would be great!
Chris

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:17 am

Hi all again,

As a late addition / question - not sure how I missed this. The original MGB 658 picture that I posted has this written on the back. The writing at the bottom left, does anyone know what it means exactly?

Thanks!

'Passed for ....... through the ....

l c Reynolds....' ?
MGB 658 photo Reverse.jpg

Peter
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:53 pm

Can only suggest that the photo was passed by the censor as all mail was subject to censorship by the C/O in this
case Rover Reynolds , Usually we did not seal our mail which was passed on to the C/O for censorship
Peter A/B Radar

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:23 am

Hi Peter
That makes total sense... passed for transmission through the post! The ol' war time censorships and sensitivities...

He must have sent it to his girl friend at the time (Later his wife).

That must have been a bit of work checking everyones mail like that, amongst other things...

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:11 am

Mark Burrows - if you ever pop back (maybe next ANZAC day?), I recommend reading 'Gunboat 658'. Your grandfather is mentioned a few times!

Woodstock
Seaman

Postby Woodstock » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi my name is carl woodiwiss. My grandfather served on MGB 658, his name was John McGuffie. He was an Able seaman and his record showed he served on the boat late 1944 onwards. Unfortunatly he passed away in 1989 at the age of 64. I have tried to find out more but to no avail I have only had family members to ask!. He was a member of your veterans association. I found a couple of your news letters two days ago which has led me to this thread. I know he did attend the reunion on board hms Belfast in 1986 as we have some pictures and a tee-shirt with the boat number on. But not long after fell ill and couldn't attend anymore. If anybody remembered him or could help me in anyway with information I would be truly greatful.

Many thanks

Peter
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:16 pm

Welcome Carl to our CFV website
Having served in the Adriatic in the same area as your Grandad ( Italy and Yugoslavia ) in 1944/45 on MGB's it would be of interest for you if you could somehow obtain a copy of the book " Dog Boats at War " by Rover Reynolds . I attach details of the reunion on HMS Belfast from our CFVA Newsletter No 47 (1986 ) that you mentioned
in your message
Cheers
Peter
Attachments
2 MGB658 Reunion.jpg
1 MGB 658 Reunion.jpg

Return to “Motor Gunboats”