MGB 658

Motor Gunboats (MGB) & Steam Gunboats (SGB)
Gail
Seaman

Re: MGB 658

Postby Gail » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 am

Hello Carl,
In case my email to you hasn't been received as there were a few photos that the file sizes may have been too large, I'm responding here too.......

It was a lovely surprise to receive your email – and you are lucky that my father lives with me so I have been able to ask if he remembers your grandfather! He does!

‘John McGuffie – I knew him well. He was from Liverpool and was a gunner or gun-layer on the Port side of the Bridge. Gun-layers start the process off – you need cordite and a projectile. He was an assistant on the Port – that’s the left side of the boat – Oerlikon. There were 5 gun positions. They (MGB’s) were Packard engines 1.5, rarely went in for service although they should have. ‘

Dad hasn’t wanted to talk much of his war years in the past, understandably, but he talks more freely these days. It was only recently I learned of why he was ‘Mentioned in Despatches.’ There is a book ‘MGB 658’ written by Reynolds which you may find interesting. Dad (Stanley Campion) was the youngest on board.

If you would like to email me again, I can try to send the photos again. There is a group photo of the crew of MGB 658. Dad's eyesight is very poor so he wasn't able to identify your grandfather, but you may have photos that you could compare with.

It was my dad's (Stanley) 91st birthday yesterday - quite an emotional time as mum passed away last October and they were almost 70 years married - but we still enjoyed plenty of cake!

With best wishes - to all on here too.
Gail

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi my name is carl woodiwiss. My grandfather served on MGB 658, his name was John McGuffie. He was an Able seaman and his record showed he served on the boat late 1944 onwards...I have tried to find out more but to no avail ...f anybody remembered him or could help me in anyway with information I would be truly greatful.
Hello Carl

Gail has already supplied you with some good details of your grandfather's service, but I have finally tracked down his CFVA membership details, which gave him as AB/AA3, 1943–45, Mediterranean & Adriatic, on MGB 658 and MTB 633.

Regards
Admin

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:45 am

Hi all,

I was sent this photo. Anyone else seen it? or have a better copy? It would be good to get all the crew names in there.
MGB 658 Crew photo.jpeg
My grandfather Kenneth Oliver Hine is in the middle row, dead centre. March 1945 Malta.

Gail
Seaman

Postby Gail » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello Chine,

It's a great photo you have of the crew of MGB 658. I haven't seen this one before - and of course, sadly dad is no longer with us ( passed 29th May this year and I miss him so much), so I cannot help you much with identifying other crew. I think my father is top row, second from the left - Stanley Campion. I recognise the two central figures bottom row - the captain / commanding officer I think is Tim Bligh and to his left I think is Len Reynolds but perhaps Admin or others on this forum will be able to help.

With best wishes,
Gail

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Dear Gail
Greetings to your Grandfather, from another Grandad who served aboard MGB 647 during the Italian campaign and then Yugoslavia now Croatia . It is very exciting to read of the exploits of MGB 658 having known and did meet Rover Reynolds within the Coastal Forces Veterans Association . Rover did write a paper back book some years ago entitled MGB 658 , and more recently his book " Dog Boats at War " Sutton Publishing Company contains many of the activities of MGB 658 .
Cheers
Peter

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 am

Hello Chine,

It's a great photo you have of the crew of MGB 658. I haven't seen this one before - and of course, sadly dad is no longer with us ( passed 29th May this year and I miss him so much), so I cannot help you much with identifying other crew. I think my father is top row, second from the left - Stanley Campion. I recognise the two central figures bottom row - the captain / commanding officer I think is Tim Bligh and to his left I think is Len Reynolds but perhaps Admin or others on this forum will be able to help.

With best wishes,
Gail
Hi Gail,

Sorry to hear about Stanley. It's been w while since I browsed these pages...It's tough losing loved one. May he rest in peace. Glad we got a few stories and photos for all to enjoy while we was alive and glad you posted lots of great thing. He will,in part, live on in the forum that's for sure... feel free to share anything else Naval related about Stanley (did we see the full album?) anytime...

Gail
Seaman

Postby Gail » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:01 am

Thank you Chine for your lovely message of condolence regarding my dad - Stanley Campion. This was the message I posted at the time but I don't think I actually posted it on this forum:

Hello,
It is with great sadness that I report to the forum, the passing of my father, Stanley Campion (RDF operator on MGB658) yesterday evening - 29th May 2017 aged 91 years. A most upstanding gentle man you could ever wish to meet. In all my years I never knew him to get angry with anyone, never uttered a bad word about anyone, was so patient, kind, trusting and trustworthy. A true, honourable gentleman. My family and I will miss him dearly.

I trust that my father's photograph album emailed to you may be useful for your archives.

Kind regards,
Gail

And this was his obituary which I proudly displayed at his funeral:

L/Sea Stanley Campion MID
by Pioneer - Mon Jun 12, 2017 10.07 am

Very sad to report that Stanley Campion MID crossed the bar on 29 May 2017.
Our thoughts go out to his family and friends at this very sad time.
Stanley served on board MTBs 408, 658, 662.
He later served on Control Target Boat CRT41 and as Coxn on Torpedo Recovery Boat TRB1.
His award of MID can be read on the Awards database
'Able Seaman Stanley CAMPION Service No: P/JX 654587 MGB 662 Mention in Despatches For gallantry, skill and determination whilst serving in Light Coastal Forces in daring and successful attacks on enemy armed shipping in the Adriatic during the months of March and April, 1945...'
There is this link to the London Gazette: 21st August 1945. (Go to second page)
RIP Stanley
'Lest we forget'

I emailed my father's album for the archives here but when I get chance I will try to post it into this part of the forum.

Best wishes,
Gail

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Just uploaded proper scan of photo....
MGB 658 - Offical Crew photo Malta 1945.jpg

Gail
Seaman

Postby Gail » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you for posting this scan - having looked more closely again I don't think it is my father pictured on here (top-2nd left). Reading the obituary again too I would imagine dad was serving on MGB662 when this photo was taken.

Best wishes,
Gail

MaureenSallows
Seaman

Postby MaureenSallows » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Hello there,
I have only just discovered this site, which I find very interesting.
My father was William Henry Gunning (wally to his friends) and he served on MGB 658, he was the radar operator referred to in the book, and was a lovely man.
He spoke very little of the war, but occasionally came out with a gem, such as when a German prisoner of war they rescued became their cook on board for a while. Also of the time the King visited Malta, he missed the visit because he had gone to Mass.
I have very few photos of Dad taken during the war so was fascinated to see some of the ones on this site.
Thank you
Maureen

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello Maureen Welcome to this website. If you would like to post the pictures of your father, it might bring back memories of some of the readers. David Carter (Branch Secretary)

MaureenSallows
Seaman

Postby MaureenSallows » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Hello David, thank you for reply,
I attach photos of my father "wally" Gunning, it would be wonderful if someone did remember him, thanks
Maureen
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:30 pm

Hello Maureen
Glad that you found us, will find on this site that I have previously
been able respond to information re MGB 658. I knew and have met
Len Reynolds many times during the reign of the Coastal Forces Veterans Assoc.I served aboard MGB 647 as Radar Operator in the same area at the same time as your Father and would have tied up alongside his boat many times. I attach two pages of Len Reynolds book for your interest. Do you live any where near Gosport? where we will be holding the annual Memorial Service at HMS Hornet
So its welcome aboard, pass my bedtime.
Sadly cannot find the files I want, carry on tomorrow
Peter

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 am

Good Morning Maureen
Hope you rested well , sorry I lost the files hope to include them now
all this tech, difficult to keep up with at 94
Attachments
MTB 658 Page 235.jpg
MTB 658 Page 235.jpg (413.46 KiB) Viewed 70181 times
MTB 658 Page 234.jpg

MaureenSallows
Seaman

Postby MaureenSallows » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello Peter
Good morning and thank you so much for the information, which I have passed on to my brother and sister.
My father Wally, who was from Cardiff, had a long happy life, married for nearly 70 years, he died in 2004 aged 91. I just wish technology had been available to him then to be in touch with comrades.
When he left Malta, they travelled towards Japan to continue the conflict, however the USA and Hiroshima occurred so the ship continued to Australia, where he picked up awols, with many funny stories of this time.
He kept diaries of his time in the med, but sadly they were water damaged and destroyed, we do still have some documents though, including his lessons on radar which you will know all about.

The family still live in South Wales, so a little far away from Gosport, but I would be interested to know when memorial service is, I guess probably this Sunday.

Best regards
Maureen

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello Maureen
Yes the HMS Hornet Memorial Parade is on Sunday Nov 11th at 11-00 am I attach further information from Len Reynolds book Dog boats at War quoting MGB 658, It must be very interesting for you and your Family to read about your Dads movements during the War.
Later I will point out the duty's of the Radar operators role on board
these boats
Cheers
Peter
Attachments
MTB 658 Page 236.jpg

MaureenSallows
Seaman

Postby MaureenSallows » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:04 am

Many thanks again Peter, I have sent for the book Dog Boats of War, I already have Gunboat 658.
It is a very poignant day today, remembering. My husbands father, who was nearly 60 when he was born, fought at the Somme in the Great War, it is a reminder of how much we owe to such brave men, we thank and honour you all.
Best regards
Maureen

bansheebuzz
Seaman

Postby bansheebuzz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 am

Thanks Gail and Chine. Sorry my post was so delayed, I completely forgot I have discovered this website. Thank you very much for the info Gail, hope your father is still well.

bansheebuzz
Seaman

Postby bansheebuzz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 am

this is a picture of his medals, with the dsm on the left, the four stars and the war medal issued by the royal navy. The last two where issued by Australia for borneo and vietnam
Attachments
war medals.jpg
war medals.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 66894 times

bansheebuzz
Seaman

Postby bansheebuzz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:55 am

I can also confirm that in the Malta 1945 picture, my grandfather is forth from the right front row, Albert Owen Burrows

Gailford
Seaman

Postby Gailford » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi Everybody.

My uncle - Able Seaman Terence Smith - aka Smithy - lost his life on MGB658 / the referred to book says he died at it gun on 18 June 1944.

Sadly my dad has recently passed away but he was incredibly proud of his big brother who was only 24 when he lost his left.

A hero.
Attachments
0E075ECA-D1FE-4BC0-818D-A7C22D6E2789.jpeg

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 am

Thanks all for your replies...

Here's an MGB 658 photo that was sent my way:
MGB 658 - in action.jpg

chine
Able Seaman

Postby chine » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:35 am

A couple more of my grandfathers photos turned up.
Second pic: "In for repairs damaged front".
Attachments
MGB658(2).jpg
MGB658(2).jpg (47.56 KiB) Viewed 36121 times
MGB658(1).jpg
MGB658(1).jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 36121 times

Return to “Motor Gunboats”