Desperately seeking info on MGB 17

Motor Gunboats (MGB) & Steam Gunboats (SGB)
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Desperately seeking info on MGB 17

Postby Admin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for the additional information Steve. Force 'G' were the naval forces allocated to Gold Beach — one of the British sectors — and were under the command of Commodore CE Douglas-Pennant, with HMS Bulolo as his HQ Ship.

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Yep, but unfortunately, I can't find these four boats in any of the Force G allocations I've looked in (and I've researched Gold Beach forces thoroughly in the past for previous projects!).

Norm
Seaman

Postby Norm » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Stephen, Admin et al,
Many thanks for your continued interest in M.G.B.17. It has been a fascinating and interesting journey and maybe just maybe there is more to come. Again my thanks to all who have participated.
My Regards,
Norm.

piers143
Seaman

Postby piers143 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Also aboard on that trip was Captain J W Farquhar DSO who, as Captain of HMS Nith, was Senior Officer Assault Group (SOAG) for "Jig" Sector, the western end of Gold Beach.

Morrrm11
Seaman

Postby Morrrm11 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:47 pm

I have recently started looking into my fathers war time record. He was either a Chief Petty Officer or Petty Officer I believe on an MGB/MTB probably MGB17. His boat struck a mine coming back from the DDay Landings. He was one of the few survivors and after a time in the water was picked up by a hospital ship returning from the DDay beaches. I only know this little amount of information as he was reluctant to discuss much about the war.Before being on MTB/MGBs he was on a Four Funnel ex USA destroyer part of the Land Lease ships on Atlantic Conveys.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Hello Morrrm11

MTB and MGB 17 were two distinct boats which were both lost but on different dates. It appears from the mention of D-Day that MGB 17 lost to a mine on 11th June 1944 would be the boat in question. Could you please give us your father’s full name and I could see if I have any details confirming his boat. There are some photographs of the boat and members of the flotilla, including the one time Commanding Officer of MGB 17, Charles Arthur Burk, who was Canadian, in the earlier part of this thread, if you happen to recognise your father by chance.

Regards
Admin

Return to “Motor Gunboats”