New Haynes "Owner's Workshop Manual" for BPB Co. MGB 81.....

Motor Gunboats (MGB) & Steam Gunboats (SGB)
Chris Preston
Seaman

New Haynes "Owner's Workshop Manual" for BPB Co. MGB 81.....

Postby Chris Preston » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:56 pm

'Afternoon All,

Has anyone purchased a copy of the new Haynes "Owner's Workshop Manual" for MGB 81? If so does it cover just the current state of MGB 81, or it's complete history and original "as fitted" state?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Preston
Victoria, BC
Canada

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Re: New Haynes "Owner's Workshop Manual" for BPB Co. MGB 81.....

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:09 am

Hi Chris,

The book comes out in September. It has more of a historical focus than some Haynes manuals, with a detailed history of the development of MGBs and a full career history of MGB 81. There is an illustrated chapter on the anatomy of 81 as she is, with some details on how she would have been (less photos of that state in the interior unfortunately), another chapter on operating her (again, illustrated 'as is', with some detail on 'as was') and one on her restoration (including her original restoration from a houseboat and her recent refit).

I've attached the contents page for you to give you some idea of what's in it.

Cheers,
Steve (author)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (116.3 KiB) Viewed 18150 times

Chris Preston
Seaman

Postby Chris Preston » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 pm

'Morning Steve,

Many Thanks for your reply. My interest in the book is due to my current model project - MTB 466, based on the Deans Marine 24th scale BPB Co. 71' 6" MTB 488. I realize your book is for MGB 81, but as the hull is the same for both the MGB and MTB, along with many of the deck fittings, it will have some useful for information for my build.

Thanks again, and standing by for September's release.

Sincerely,

Chris Preston
Victoria, BC
Canada

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Chris,

As you no doubt know, MGB 81 was a Mk V boat, whilst 466 and 488 were both Mk VIs. The most significant differences are on the deck with different bridges and changes to the armament (most notably the torpedoes!), but there were changes to the cabin space below deck, with the W/T room moving down there. I'm afraid there are no drawings of a Mk VI in the book, although plenty of images (some you'll probably be familiar with from Library & Archives Canada).

Cheers,
Steve

Chris Preston
Seaman

Postby Chris Preston » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi Steve,

Copy. I'm aware of the differences. The plans I have from the Model Boats Plans Service from the 80's (by John Pritchard) are much better than those supplied in the kit, so my model has been built accordingly. These plans have been supplemented with information from the Manitoba Naval Museum here in Canada (right in the middle of the country, in the Canadian Prairie!!!), along with the Internet. I'm looking for more detailed information on things like the exhaust muffler system and linkages, and other assorted upper deck fittings, as these have been simplified in the kit, and the scale is too big to ignore them, so you're book may be just what I'mm looking for.

Cheers,

Chris

JBell
Seaman

Postby JBell » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Steve,

Very much looking forward to getting hold of a copy of this book. My late grandfather (John Mallitte, RNZNVR) was the CO of her for a time, and he used to tell me all about his CF days, and how much he liked this boat!

Regards,

Jarrod.

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Thank you Jarrod. Your grandfather indeed gets a few mentions in the book.

Chris, I'm afraid there's not really any detail on the exhaust muffler or the linkages in this. I bet Al Ross' forthcoming book will cover those innovations in detail though.

Return to “Motor Gunboats”