ML 338

Motor Launches (ML), Harbour Defence Motor Launches (HDML) & Rescue Motor Launches (RML)
David
Seaman

ML 338

Postby David » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:50 pm

My father commanded ML338 during the war. He was initially attached to the 25th ML Flotilla before transferring to the 3rd ML Flotilla. With the help of 120+ letters he wrote to my mother and other research, I have written a book which concentrates on the period 1942 - 1945. He took part in the invasions of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, Elba and Southern France. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who might have information that I might add before going to publication.

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Re: ML 338

Postby David Carter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:25 am

Hello David
Thank you for your enquiry. My father commanded ML1301, which he sailed in a convoy to Malta, then was involved with the landings in Sicily and Salerno, did harbour defence work etc in Naples, then based in Maddelana and Bastia. Unfortunately killed during the assault on Elba. I have photos and letters from others in same area of conflict.
Kind regards

David Carter

(CFVA London Branch Secretary)

Stephen
Sub Lieutenant

Postby Stephen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello David,

I can't offer anything personally, but you might find a few books I know useful for context and adding further memories of these events into your narrative (I expect you've already found them though).

One is A Leaf Upon the Sea, by Gordon Stead. He commanded ML 126 of the 3rd ML Flotilla and was Senior Officer of the flotilla at Sicily and Salerno. Leonard Reynolds describes the Sicily Campaign from the deck of a Fairmile D in Motor Gunboat 658. Geoffrey Searle also served on MLs and describes his experiences in At Sea Level, although in other parts of the Mediterranean to your father. There's also To Sea in a Sieve, by the late actor Peter Bull, who commanded LCTs and LCFs in the Mediterranean and took part in most of the actions your father did. Although not Coastal Forces, I recall his narrative of time in the anchorages at some of the landings is quite compelling reading.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello David
Having served in Malta ( HMS Gregale ) it is with interest I read your request for information about MLs . All my service was aboard MTB's , on looking through my collection of photo's of ML's I have collected
Good luck on your book of your Grandads Service
Cheers
Peter Bickmore
Attachments
ML Leaving Trieste.jpg
ML 576 at Trieste.jpg
ML 567.jpg
ML 540         Malta VE Day.jpg

David
Seaman

Postby David » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Peter - many thanks for those photos. Although my book 'Parents at War' has now been published, if I receive sufficient new information/feedback I may consider an Edition 2. I was wondering whether you knew the locations on your ML photos and whether they are still subject to copyright. David

Return to “Motor Launches”