ML in Falmouth

Motor Launches (ML), Harbour Defence Motor Launches (HDML) & Rescue Motor Launches (RML)
RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

ML in Falmouth

Postby RogerFentem » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Does anyone know whhat ML is in the picture. This is Falmouth in 1965? I have two sources saying that in this guise as a pleasure craft she was called Killoran. However I have got no further than that.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1619018905524.jpg
ML ???
FB_IMG_1619018905524.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 18255 times

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Re: ML in Falmouth

Postby RogerFentem » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:50 am

An update on the name: a further source, acknowledged by one of the others as more reliable, says she was called "Killian". I am no further forward in finding her number.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 pm

Hello Roger

I have not found any reference to Killian in the only source I have, which is John Lambert and Al Ross’s volume Allied Coastal Forces: Volume 1. It may have had an earlier name if you were able to look up its history within the Lloyd’s Shipping Register.

Regards
Admin

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Postby RogerFentem » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 am

Hi Admin
Thanks for looking, I will see what I can get from Lloyd's Register.
Roger

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 pm

This web site mentions a Kiloran II, formerly Cambrian Prince. Kiloran II suggests there may have been a Kiloran, with both belonging to a local Ferry company? Might your Killian be Kiloran, or are you familiar with Kiloran as a boat name?

In fact our forum mentions Kiloran II was ML 253

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Postby RogerFentem » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:55 am

Hi Admin
Thank you so much for the update. The plot thickens! Fascinating reading about possible confusion between ML 253, ML 294, MTB 253. The die stamped 294's discovered by RoyK under Admiralty Grey provide compelling evidence. The connection with St Mawse and river Fal cruises all point to the 1965 postcard of Falmouth harbour showing ex ML 294.
Thanks again.
Roger

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:04 am

Roger

The plot thickens again! I have just been looking through some documents I have on the Dartmouth, Falmouth and Helford River Flotillas, which were the SOE and SIS run operations to Brittany using Coastal Forces units, and French Fishing Vessels, some of which were specially constructed by the Admiralty for the job. It turns out the Base and Accommodation ship for the Dartmouth Flotilla, which was effectively the 15th MGB Flotilla, was H.M.Y. Kiloran.

Admin

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Postby RogerFentem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am

Hi Admin
Thank you for looking through those documents. I wonder if HMY Kiloran explains why the ex ML294 was called Kiloran ll? Am I correct in believing the flotilla in Dartmouth consisted of largely French manned boats?
Roger

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Roger

It appears HMY Kiloran was an armed yacht, and I have managed to unearth this image, which seems on the face of it to be Kiloran functioning as a ferry at Torquay, so I wonder if this is the Kiloran, then that means any Fairmile B would only have been Kiloran II and up?
kiloran-at-torquay.jpg
There was a Free French flotilla at Dartmouth, but the SOE managed 15th Flotilla was Royal Navy. I haven't quite finished making sense of the Helford River, and Falmouth Flotillas, the latter also going by the name Inner Patrol Flotilla, but they were made up of the French styled Motor Vessels, to merge with the Brittany fishing fleet, and had French crews among them.

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Postby RogerFentem » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi Admin
Kiloran is a fine looking vessel. Thank you for the picture. The Torquay connection makes sense of Kiloran II.

There were a number of Warrigton-Smythes involved in Helford. The father as SO in residence and two sons each heading up one of the "secret" services. I got to be familiar with yet another W-S, Rodney who was possibly a cousin, since he eventually came to own Boat Construction or Falmouth BC as it was post war.
Roger

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:41 pm

There were a number of Warrigton-Smythes involved in Helford.

Oddly enough I’ve just been reading about them. I happen to have a small publication by Landfall Publications entitled Operation Cornwall 1940-1944: The Fal, the Helford and D-Day. It states part of the original SOE contingent on the Helford left in the autumn of 1942 to carry out similar activities on the coast of North Africa, the remainder placed at that time under the command of Lieut-Commander Bevil Warington-Smyth, with the SIS contingent under his brother Nigel. The SOE had been based in a beautiful house overlooking the estuary called Ridifarne, which I note from the internet still exists, and is available as a holiday let, while the SIS used a three-masted yacht belonging to Lord Runciman, called Sunbeam II.

Return to “Motor Launches”