MTB 250 Crew

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB)
ruthlawrie
Seaman

MTB 250 Crew

Postby ruthlawrie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:12 pm

This photograph of an MTB crew shows my Dad, Alex Anderson (he is at the back) and his buddies having some down time! He thinks it is Portsmouth and MTB 250. He was also on MTB 212. The photo was taken by a local newspaper photographer, and the names he can remember are Captain Mark Arnold Forster and someone with the surname Gleeson. Its a shame we didn't write all this down years ago when he could remember more. I always wanted him to write a book, he had so many stories to tell!

He trained at Fort William in 1941, and was a Leading Telegraphist and was based at Malta for some time He was mentioned in despatches for involvement in the Normandy Landings. If anyone recognised any of the others in the photographs that would be great!
Alex-Anderson-MTB-250.jpg
Crew of MTB 250, believed to have been taken at Portsmouth © Fox Photography

MartinB
Seaman

Re: MTB 250 Crew

Postby MartinB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Just to add a little to the jigsaw, the crew member you refer to as Gleeson is Leeson (Allan Leeson) my Father-in-Law who sadly passed away just over a year ago, he is second in from the right on the photo.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Hello Martin, and thank you for the additional information. I have always liked this photo as it is one of the clearest and sharpest we have in our growing archive, so it’s good to put another name to one of the crew. If you have any further information on you father-in-law’s time in Coastal Forces we’d be glad to receive it.

Regards
Admin

reinaart
Sub Lieutenant

Postby reinaart » Mon May 27, 2019 8:37 am

MTB 250 was also used for training exercises by the SSRF (Small Scale Raiding Force). Davits were fitted for launching a Dory. These pics are probably familiar to most of you :

More photos can be found here :

https://www.combinedops.com/SSRF.htm

Arjan

Return to “Motor Torpedo Boats”