Joesph Fox MTB 636

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
mjfox7
Seaman

Joesph Fox MTB 636

Postby mjfox7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi I have been trying to establish my grandfathers naval service history. He was based at HMS Hannibal and HMS St Angelo with MTB 636 32nd flotilla. I know from 6/4/43 he was in North Africa then moved to Malta in May that year. His service records show he was based there until 13th june 44 but it shows ditto from 1/jan/44 {previous entry St Angelo (MTB 636) 01/Jun/43-31/Dec/43} and I know that MTB 636 was sunk accidently by MGB 658 on 14/Oct/43. Could anyone through any light, if after 14/Oct/43 my Grandfather joined another boat if so which boat or would he have became spare crew for 32nd flotilla. Also if anyone can shed light how the Island of Capri ended up surrendering to MTB636 and an officer of 33rd flotilla.

Pioneer

Re: Joesph Fox MTB 636

Postby Pioneer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello ‘mjfox7’ Welcome Aboard.
As you may know, the 32nd Flotilla was formed December 1942 – disbanded in December 1943 with any remaining boats spread between the 56th, 57th, and 61st Flotilla’s.

During September 1943 the boats of the 20th MGB and the 33rd MTB Flotillas were attached to “Task Group” – “80.4” - under Captain Andrews USN in the American destroyer USS Knight. This task group was given the objective of securing the surrender of the islands of Ventotene, Capri, Ischia and Procida (off the Gulf of Naples). No resistance was encountered in any of these operations, in fact at each; the boats were welcomed, this being a most rewarding interlude in a campaign that had, until then, been characterized by relentless air attacks and hazardous patrols.

Ventotene, the most distant island was taken on 9 September ‘43 (the day the Salerno invasion began) followed by Capri on the 12th, Procida on the 15th and Ischia on the 16th.
It fell to a few officers, with the lowly rank of Lieutenant, to formally receive the enemy surrenders; most unusual it would appear from today’s viewpoint especially of such a prestigious island as Capri. But a document exists showing that the Commandante of the island addressed his surrender to Lt E.T.Greene-Kelly RNR - acting Senior Officer of the 33rd – (later to lose his life in what is now termed as a “friendly fire’ incident – the loss of 636 under the guns of 658). The Commanding Officer of 636 was Lt F.A. Warner (much later our Ambassador to Japan). It is also worth noting that Douglas Fairbanks Jr USNR, (now far removed from Hollywood), was Liaison Officer to Captain Andrews USN on this operation, and was not new to working with British Coastal Forces. (He had been at the Dieppe landings being awarded a British DSC).
The Isle of Capri became in due course a leave centre for US forces, with the Isle of Ischia, a British Coastal Forces Base, (mainly for MLs).

HMS Hannibal was the Shore Base commissioned January 1943 at Algiers (originally founded at HMS Nile - Alexandria) This base also supplied staff for mobile CF units that could be found at Bone, Oran, Taranto and other places as the Mediterranean War moved over onto the Italian mainland.
Your Grandfathers Record would be showing where the accounts were held for the 32nd Flotilla - St Angelo (Malta) then Hannibal (Algiers). It would appear that after the disbanding of the 32nd (and 33rd) in December 1943 the accounts were back at Malta (St Angelo)

To find out whether your Grandfather was still a member of one of the ‘new’ Flotilla’s you may have to contact HMS Centurion - RN Barracks Portsmouth.

Hope this helps

(source for the above: Dog Boats at War - L Reynolds, and Allied Coastal Forces at War - J. Lambert and Al Ross)

mjfox7
Seaman

Postby mjfox7 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:59 pm

That is interesting about the new fotillas arranged on the 31/12/43 as my Grandfathers record shows a change in posting although only shown as a ditto (as he stayed based at St Angelo) for the period from 1/01/44 until june that year, then he sailed from Malta on HMS Highway to the Indian Ocean. Does HMS Centurion hold Ships Crew lists or give anymore details than his service record. It has been sometime since my Grandfathers passing but I still remember him telling me about US food parcels he would steal as they had dropped in the harbour and they would race out to get them before the Yanks (he trained as a navy diver at St Angelo). I would like to know more as I would like my little girl know how brave the people of my Grandfathers generation where.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:46 am

Hello again ‘mjfox7’
As stated, your Grandfathers Record would be showing where the accounts were held for the 32nd Flotilla - St Angelo (Malta) then Hannibal (Algiers) – then after the disbanding and restructuring of the Flotilla on the 31st December 1943, were back in St Angelo (Malta).

The sinking of 636 in October 1943 would obviously have been a very traumatic incident for your Grandfather – 8 people who Granddad would have ‘messed with’ lost their lives that night.

The rescue of the survivors by 658 was not straight forward – 658 twice having to break off the attempts through coming under fire – first - by the enemy craft that 636 had been mistaken for - and then by the enemy shore batteries that had become fully aware of the action off shore.
Whether Granddad was hurt or injured is not shown in any records that I have seen, but several of the survivors of 636 were – altogether a very traumatic experience for him.
From what I can deduce – these survivors were first landed at Bastia (then, only very recently secured from the retreating German’s). They would then have been moved onto Malta - as your Granddad’s Record suggests - for a recuperation period, (if not for further medical attention).

The action of that night is described fully in “Dog Boats at War” by L Reynolds – I would highly recommend that you try to secure a copy (from your Library?)

HMS Centurion (RN Barracks Portsmouth) holds many records – but almost unbelievably - some records were deliberately destroyed in the mid ‘50’s. They may well suggest another avenue for you to explore, maybe the PRO?.

Best of luck – please let us know how you get on
Regards

Return to “Personnel”