Web Site main pictures

General feedback or comments related to the forum
Stuart
Leading Seaman

Web Site main pictures

Postby Stuart » Fri May 05, 2017 9:07 am

Good Morning Admin - I would just like to say how much I enjoy the pictures you put up on the heading of the website. A lovely painting celebrating the Dutch contribution. I know there were many official War Artists but there were also lots of artists, professional and amateur who tried to put their experiences into pictures. One of my great regrets was to find that the elderly gentleman living next door had been a ferry captain on the Mersey during the War and been shell shocked by a bomb going off next to his boat. We used to visit him and found out he had a pile of note books (lined paper not clear) filled with drawings of all the boats on the Mersey. All the great liners, the merchant ships,the other ferries, naval vessels, convoys arriving and gathering everything was there - not drawn by a trained hand but just as he saw them. Some time after he died we enquired what had happened to the notebooks and found that his family had destroyed all his paperwork! Gone forever.

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Re: Web Site main pictures

Postby Peter » Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 am

Moonligt Patrol.jpg
Hi Stuart,
Thank you for your response on the enjoyment of the picture in the celebrating the Dutch Commemoration Day . May I also endorse your concern for the security of such pictures and memorabilia is preserved .
Artist Harold Garland was a long term work collegue and was commissioned by many
Members of the Coastal Forces Veterans for the painting of their Boats from the black and white photo's that we all cherished . My own painting of MGB 647 is proudly hanging over the Lounge fireplace . I have some 30 pictures of Harold's work on my computer . Attached a picture that depicts the offensive role of Coastal Forces .

Stuart
Leading Seaman

Postby Stuart » Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 am

Lovely picture Peter - I especially like the way Harold Garland handles the sky!

In the family we have two paintings by Brian Mullen (possibly Commando) who unfortunately never survived the Normandy landings - I wonder if anyone has heard of this artist but I suspect he is another 'unknown'. Will try and obtain copies.

Stuart
Leading Seaman

Postby Stuart » Mon May 08, 2017 9:07 am

Hi again - Far from being 'unknown' I now see Brian Mullen was the official Commando War Artist! Very strong drawing and a tragic loss.

marsie
Seaman

Postby marsie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Moonligt Patrol.jpgHi Stuart,
Thank you for your response on the enjoyment of the picture in the celebrating the Dutch Commemoration Day . May I also endorse your concern for the security of such pictures and memorabilia is preserved .
Artist Harold Garland was a long term work collegue and was commissioned by many
Members of the Coastal Forces Veterans for the painting of their Boats from the black and white photo's that we all cherished . My own painting of MGB 647 is proudly hanging over the Lounge fireplace . I have some 30 pictures of Harold's work on my computer . Attached a picture that depicts the offensive role of Coastal Forces .
Hello Peter,

I wonder if I might trouble you for some biographical details on Harold Garland, the artist. We have purchased a painting of his of MTB 750, but can't find any details of his life, where he learned to paint, whether he is still alive, as the last painting I have seen was dated October 2011, where he lived, in fact anything about him. According to artuk.org, he was active 1986-1988, which makes one think he hasn't been painting much since, but that doesn't seem accurate as there are much later paintings on the Guild of Aviation Artist of which he seem to be or have been a Member.

I would be grateful for any assistance you can offer.

Marsie.

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi marsie
I am happy to answer your enquiry re Harold Garland. I am still in contact with him , he is now in his 91st year . Attached a brief report of his association with the CFVA
His first commission was to paint the attached picture Komiza Harbour . In attendance Rear Admiral Morgan Giles and Lt D Scott .
Regards
Peter
Ambassador Komiza Painting.jpg
Harold_Garland_Details.jpg

Peter
Able Seaman Radar

Augusta Sicilly 1943

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:18 am

On our web site , the recent Memorial Page for July recalled the sad loss of MB 316 in that very hostile and brave campaign by Coastal Forces in the Mediterranean during the invasion of Sicily and the invasion of Italy . For me it was my first action and sadly the loss of Shipmate A/B Arnold aboard MTB 633 , was the preparation and a time of
comradeship that was to be our support in the campaign that was ahead
Peter

Return to “Forum & Web Site Feedback”