Seeking info on Oliver William George Parr P/KX.85753

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Andrea
Seaman

Seeking info on Oliver William George Parr P/KX.85753

Postby Andrea » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 pm

I have just started researching my Grandad's naval career - his name was Oliver William George Parr P/KX.85753.

A quick search has led me to his mention of despatches in the Gazette on 6th July 1943 and I have a letter from the Combined Operations Headquarters acknowledging his bravery and skill in action which confirms he was on MGB 326 but other than that I don't really know to start and so was wondering if anyone kindly has any information on him, other boats or missions that he may have served on please?

Many thanks
Andrea
Attachments
Grandads letter - 17 July 1943.JPG
Grandads letter - 17 July 1943.JPG (114.99 KiB) Viewed 23950 times

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Seeking info on Oliver William George Parr P/KX.85753

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:40 am

Hello Andrea and welcome to the forum.

There is some information on MGB 326 in Secret Flotillas Vol. I: Clandestine Sea Operations to Brittany, 1940-1944 by Brooks Richards, and some brief information on the 1st Coastal Forces Flotilla in Dog Boats at War by Len Reynolds. In addition there is a good deal of information about the boat, and specifically its sinking, in the former Coastal Forces Veterans Association newsletters. I will digitise all the information later and send it to you, and provide a brief summary of it here.

Admin

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 am

The 14th MGB Flotilla was by officers who were every bit as experienced and whose later service in Coastal Forces was similarly distinguished. Unusually, the flotilla operated in two separate divisions — one at Hornet in Portsmouth and the other from Wasp at Dover. Later, the Hornet based division became the 1st Coastal Force Flotilla and units were often used, between normal gunboat duties, on special operations, including raids on Dives, Courseilles, Merlimont, Le Touquet, St Vaast, St Laurent, Bruneval, Hardelot, Boulogne and Dieppe. Boats were added frequently and then moved back to other flotillas as operations required.

The first SO was Lt Cdr W.G. Everitt RN, and he was followed by T.N. Cartwright, A.R.H. Nye and J.H. Coste. At Dover, the first divisional leader was Lt K.A. Cradock-Hartopp RN.

Dog Boats at War by Len Reynolds: Chapter 11 p243

14th M.G.B. Flotilla.JPG
14th MGB Flotilla

Andrea
Seaman

Postby Andrea » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am

Oh wow, thank you so much....and that is my Grandad sat on the far left in the bottom row :-) I was a teenager when he passed away but have many fond memories of him from when I was growing up and would recognise that smile anywhere.

It is lovely to have the photo and the information and I would greatly appreciate anything else you find and are able to share (especially as I have no idea what has happened to the photos and other momentos he had seeing as his wife and son, my Nan and Father, have both since passed away).

That also helps answer my question as I had seen reference to 'Hornet'.

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 am

Dear Andrea
Thank you for contacting us. May I ask, is your grandfather related to the family of Parrs who operate boats on the Thames from Kingston?
Regards
David Carter (Secretary)

Andrea
Seaman

Postby Andrea » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 am

Hi David, I'm not sure. I have been able to trace my Grandfathers parents and know they were from Reading in Berkshire. He had siblings whose descendants could of course be the Parr family to whom you are referring?

David Carter
Sub Lieutenant

Postby David Carter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 am

Hi Andrea

I've heard back from the Parr family with a very helpful list of family names. It's possible there could be a connection but not definite.

If you would send your e-mail address to me, I'll forward it to you. I'm at xxx

Kind regards

David Carter (CFVA Secretary)

Return to “Personnel”