MTB 650

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB)
RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

MTB 650

Postby RogerFentem » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:32 am

I read today, 12.08.2020, of the acquisition of the Dry Dock in Appledore which will be used to safely restore S130. Much is made of the restoration of the E boat. Are there any Dogs around that could sit proudly with the rival? In particular does anyone know what happened to MTB650 of the 55th Flotilla that had such success the Channel. Post hostilities, she was converted to LRRC004 serving in Newlyn then the Med. Eventually arriving on the Suez canal at Fanara as a luxurious houseboat for the RAF officers stationed there. After that I know nothing of her. Help needed.

Pioneer

Re: MTB 650

Postby Pioneer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Hello RogerFentem
Thank you for the Post, you have added a little further info on MTB 650, I was not aware that she had travelled to the Suez and ended up as a 'luxurious Houseboat', do you have any further details ie Houseboat name?
Sadly no survivors of the famous 'D' are known to exist, the rumour of one surviving somewhere in Sth America did not bear fruit, while a proposed 'new build' fell by the wayside even though some funds had been generated.
Thanks again

RogerFentem
Leading Seaman

Re: MTB 650

Postby RogerFentem » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:20 pm

Sincere appolgies, 650 did become a long range rescue craft for the RAF, but LRRC 020 not 004 which was the fate of MTB5006 (another of my grandfather's Dog boats). The older boats of the 55th Flotilla were either paid off or recommissionedafter the pounding they had taken protecting the Eastern flank from E-boats. MTB650 was recommissioned and in the guise of LRRC020 sailed with the 101 ASRMCU sporting the Blue Ensign along with LRRC006, 007, 008, 011, 017, and 021. They were intended for Burma, fortunately hostilities ended and so the unit was stopped in the Med. They went on to Suez and were converted into houseboats for the RAF personnel serving at Fanara post war. There are a couple of pictres in Geoffrey Pilborough's "History of the Royal Air Force Marine Craft" vol 3. It is rather a forelorn hope of mine that something might remain of these houseboats but ...I do not know what names the houseboat conversions were given - if any.

Return to “Motor Torpedo Boats”