Action at the end of the War

Discussions relating to actions or operations, including combined operations, involving Coastal Forces boats or flotillas
Julie
Seaman

Action at the end of the War

Postby Julie » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi,
Have just read the article on the war's last naval action - War Stories - close encounters. Very interesting - but are you sure that it was the very last naval action - April 1945???
Interesting site - keep up the good work
Julie

Pioneer

Re: Action at the end of the War

Postby Pioneer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Hello Julie,
It can be quoted with absolute certainty that it was the last action fought by the 22nd MTB Flotilla.
On the wider issue - it may be claimed, with some justification, that it could have been the last action fought by CF units but let us not forget that several ML flotillas (and other Naval units) were engaged in the dangerous activity of Minesweeping in Home Waters (and sustaining casualties) - right up until, and well past the surrender of the German military in Europe (May 1945).
And thank you for your kind comments

RogerP
Chief Petty Officer

Postby RogerP » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Greetings Julie and Ted from OZ, :)

In the very good book The 13th & 14th Fairmile Flotillas in Burma mention is made of an action they claim to be the last coastal forces action of WW2.

The action took place on the night of 16/17 May 1945 and involved MLs 594, 303, 904 and 269 ambushing a number of Japanese barges trying to sneak down the Bawle River near the village of Kokkawa.

One of the gun numbers on 269's for'ard 6pdr now lives in NSW and he confirms what is written in the book.

Roger.
Bendigo, Australia.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Hello Roger
Yes I do believe that the claim for the last Coastal Forces action is a little misleading—the Far Eastern War had a few months to run as we know. I have read that even well after August 1945 there were several skirmishes with Japanese military who either were not aware that it was finally over or refused to lay down there arms. The island skirmishes would—I imagine—have used CF craft etc, mainly American, but CF actions no less. While minesweeping would continue for months / years after hostilities completely ceased, I understand that at this time—i.e. after the official surrenders—minesweeping could not be described as CF actions.
Thanks for the interest
Ted

dutch
Seaman

Postby dutch » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:05 pm

ive read about the last action in a CFVA news letter and remember my father told me a long time ago how he took part in such n action but i only have a boat number ML 869 and cant confirm his flotilla number. He discribed the action almost word per word he also told me he had to dispatch a Japanese soldier who had swam out to his boat and tried to hang on to the bow whilst trying to set of somesort of explosive round he said he was hitting a shell of the side of the boat like a mad man.my father was a gunner he also took part in opperation DRACULA.i think there may have been more than one ambush of this type. Any help or confirmation of his boat and flotilla number would be most helpful.THANKS DUTCH.

Return to “Actions & Operations”