Did anyone know Sinbad

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
Phil
Seaman

Did anyone know Sinbad

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Hello everyone
I'm trying to find out more about my fathers experience during the second world war. Unfortunately I havent got much information, so I appologise if this seems like a shot in the dark. I'm very proud of him and everyone who fought to protect us. Here's a list of the things I remeber him telling me, I hope it might jog someones memory. Best wishes to all.

George Simmonett, nickname 'Sinbad' or 'Sinbad the Sailor'. He volunteered at the age of 17 and was stationed at a place called 'Whale Island'. He said he was a twin oerlikon gunner on an MTB. He mentioned a nickname given to one of the boat commanders that sounded like 'Birrel' or 'Squirrel' first name possibly 'Don'. He said something about this commander being a bold and courageous man who had Sharks teeth painted on the front of the MTB. He didnt talk much about where he went but did mention scenes he remembered on D-day so I think he might have taken part in this.

Pioneer

Re: Did anyone know Sinbad

Postby Pioneer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello ‘Phil’, welcome aboard.
Not much information to go on but here is a little more info for you.
Whale Island, Portsmouth, is the home of HMS Excellent, the Gunnery Training school, this is where your father would have gained his proficiency on the Oerlikon gun that you mention. (it is the oldest Shore Establishment of the Royal Navy)
As you mention ‘Sharks Teeth’ being painted on the Bows of the craft, that immediately suggests that he was aboard a “D” type vessel of the 55th MTB Flotilla. This Flotilla was ‘in being’ from October 1943 to June 1945 (previously 31st MTBs)
The Flotilla had 2 Senior Officers – Lt Cdr ‘Don’ Bradford RNR to August 1944, then Lt Cdr Whitby RNVR.
(Source ‘Dog boats at War – Leonard Reynolds. OBE. DSC.)

If you wish to trace your fathers Service Record you could contact –
DNPers
Disclosure Cell
MP G-2
Room 48
West Battery
Whale Island
Portsmouth
PO2 8DX
Telephone Nos. 02392 62 8667 / 8666 / 8671 /8670 / 8654
There will be a Search Charge but you will receive a complete Record of your father’s Service –
Here is an image of some of the 55th at HMS Hornet (your father’s boat may just be one of them)
Best of Luck

Phil
Seaman

Re: Did anyone know Sinbad

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Hello Pioneer
I really appreciate the information and great picture, those Sharks teeth really were something. I'll see what else I can find out from Dad's service records. You have been a great help, I didnt think what small amount of information I have would be enough to go on. I'll let you know what else I discover, best wishes, regards Phil.

Return to “Personnel”