John Harold Hall, 16th Flotilla, MTB 277

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
rgoodyear
Seaman

John Harold Hall, 16th Flotilla, MTB 277

Postby rgoodyear » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am

Hello, I am wanting to research my great-grandads records during WW2 like his ship, any photos etc. The information I have so far is that he was in the 16th Flotilla, MTB 277 holding the rank of Gunner. His ship captain was Kenneth Craddock-Hartopp on the ship H.M.S Thesis but I fail to find any information on this ship? any help would be appreciated, thank you

Admin
Site Admin

Re: John Harold Hall, 16th Flotilla, MTB 277

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:29 am

Hello rgoodyear

Welcome to the forum. I thought I recognised the name of Lt Cdr Sir Kenneth Cradock-Hartopp whose obituary may be found in The Telegraph. He wrote an article on the Indian Vospers which I'll look out for you later, and I think there are some photos of them on the Imperial War Museum (IWM) site.

Regards
Admin

An oral account on the IWM site by Peter James Little of his time with the MTBs in India.

There is also some information on the MTBs in India contained in the Lend-lease Vosper MTB 281 thread on this forum.

With the Eastern Fleet, February 1944, Trinco and Colombo. MTB's of the 17th Flotilla moored alongside the parent ship.© IWM (A 22503)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Return to “Personnel”