Ken Forrester of Galgate

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
corkerrys
Seaman

Ken Forrester of Galgate

Postby corkerrys » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 pm

good morning all

firstly many thanks for the information on here about Ken, he lived only round the corner from where i type this, i never knew Ken, but i came across him whilst researching my books on all from galgate who served in WW1 and WW2

he was a french polisher for waring and gillow both before and after WW2, and there is a prize awarded in his name at the Galgate horticultural show.

does anyone have a copy of his book? ironically the one he gave to the local history society sems to have been lent out and not returned!

another Galgate man -Maurice Iliingworth DSM -served in the same flotilla as Ken, i will post details soon

thanks

Shaun Corkerry

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ken Forrester of Galgate

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 pm

The chapters of Ken's autobiography covering his wartime experience may be found within the memoirs section of the web site, but I do not have a scan of the complete book.

corkerrys
Seaman

Postby corkerrys » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm

no worries, someone round here will have one!

corkerrys
Seaman

Postby corkerrys » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:25 pm

the 1939 register for Ken showing him as a french polisher living at Keepers cottage Conder green-Robert K forrester near where the right hand bit of sellotape is....
Attachments
TNA_R39_4942_4942E_002.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 pm

I was lent a copy in the past and know he spent some time after the war in Glasgow, employed in the fitting out of liners built on the Clyde at Govan.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Hello 'corkerrys'
I do have a copy of Ken's autobiography and I will dig it out (from somewhere :-) and could send scans via private message or e-mail, if you wish.
I was very friendly with Ken (over the phone) but unfortunately never got to meet him or his lovely wife Harriet.
I do miss having the occasional chat with Ken, his northern accent was a delight to hear and certainly added greatly to his sense of humour.
Regards

corkerrys
Seaman

Postby corkerrys » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm

that would be lovely thanks! a lot of people remember him here still!

my e mail is Corkerrys@aol.com, many thanks again! he did give a presentation in 2006 on his life, but I didn't live here then...my wife is the Galgate born one!

kind regards

Shaun

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:53 am

Shaun
Have sent you a Private Message

Return to “Personnel”