MTB 5009 crew photos

Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB)
Kieron
Seaman

MTB 5009 crew photos

Postby Kieron » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:59 pm

My late father George Heard (CFVA member 1212) was a stoker on MTB 723 and MTB 5009. While researching for an account of his wartime service, I came across these photographs. In the whole crew photo, Dad is in the second row from the rear, behind the CO (Samuel Stewart, I believe). In the other photo, Dad is on the left, with two of his shipmates. I would be very interested to hear if anyone can provide names for those two, or indeed for any of the other crew members. I know of at least two former CFVA members (Donald Campbell and Jim Donaldson) who served on 5009 at the same time as my father. Perhaps someone here can recognise them in these photographs?

Regards, Kieron
MTB_5009_crew.jpg
MTB_5009_George_Heard.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Re: MTB 5009 crew photos

Postby Admin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Hello Kieron

Welcome to the forum. I corresponded with you earlier and forgot to get back to you about the photos I held which I am posting here. These were passed to me by the family of Wilfred 'Wolf' Watkins RNVR, who was Navigating Officer on 5009 based in Lowestoft (HMS Mantis).

The shot of the MTB 5009 shows wearing camouflage colours which some of the very late Dog Boats had, in line with a possible requirement to work close inshore in support of raiding parties?

The photograph of officers was taken at a cricket match at HMS Hornet, Portsmouth, in 1945. The officers are left to right:

Sam Stewart
Wilfred Watkins
Ken LeVoi

Donald Milner (who became the BBC correspondent in India)
Jimmy Whiffer?
Ronald Hedgecox

mtb-5009-gosport-watkins.jpg
mtb-5009-officers-wartkins.jpg

Kieron
Seaman

Postby Kieron » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks Admin, much appreciated.

Interesting to see MTB 5009 in camouflage, as the photo that I have shows a plain grey paint job. I have a photo of MTB 723, also in camouflage, and the pattern is very similar. I assume it was done to a set design. My father told me that it was for boats operating in northern (Norwegian?) waters, which probably ties in with your comment about inshore work.

I think the crew photo that I uploaded was probably taken on the occasion of that cricket match you mentioned. Here is another photo, that includes the officers and some of the crew from MTB 5007.

Regards, Kieron

MTB _5009_and_MTB_5007.jpg

Mr.Spigot
Seaman

Postby Mr.Spigot » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:44 am

I was fascinated to read this and also to recognise my late Father-in-law, Allan Robinson, who served on 723 and 5009. In the first photo he is sitting at the front to the left of the lifebelt with his arms folded and in the second one of the 5009 crew he is in the second row, 2nd from the left. He would have been 19 when these photos were taken.
We have just discovered his diary covering his wartime experiences and some of the actions that 723 and 5009 were involved in. He does not mention any other crew names apart from Stewart, the skipper. Sadly, he died in 1994.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:22 pm

Hello Mr Spigot

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the identification of your late father-in-law in the crew photos above. I have a couple of photos of MTB 723 which I will email you, if you don't mind my corresponding with you, as I would also like to learn more about the wartime diary you mentioned.

Regards
Admin

Kieron
Seaman

Postby Kieron » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:51 am

Hi Mr Spigot,

Thank you for your contribution to this topic. My Dad and your late father-in-law must have been well known to each other, having served in the same two boats. You will be aware that actions involving MTB 723 are documented in the book Dog Boats at War, by Leonard Reynolds. However, I have not come across any accounts of actions in which MTB 5009 took part, and had assumed that things had quietened down by that relatively late stage of the war in the North Sea. Therefore, I would also be very interested to learn more about your late father-in-law's wartime experiences, as described in his diary.

Best wishes, Kieron

Return to “Motor Torpedo Boats”