Our Lady of the Pirates by Kenneth Horlock - HM MTB 651

Books, magazine articles, or other text-based material related to the subject of Coastal Forces
Son of Gwilym
Seaman

Postby Son of Gwilym » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:49 am

Horlock’s fascinating first hand account of “piracy” in the Mediterranean during WWII. As the commander of HM MTB 651 Horlock describes his boat, his crew and their actions in a way that makes you feel as though you are there with them. Sharing their struggles with the enemy, the weather, the boat when damaged or their pride at dragging a loaded schooner back to harbour.

I really enjoyed reading this and would be pleased to hear of similar accounts.

64 pages one crew photograph 1 map and 3 MTB illustrations by one of his daughters.

I have two spare copies if anyone would like one let me know.

Croatian Navy
Petty Officer

Re: Our Lady of the Pirates by Kenneth Horlock - HM MTB 651

Postby Croatian Navy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Is this still actual?

Son of Gwilym
Seaman

Postby Son of Gwilym » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Croation Navy, sorry for late reply. Yes I still have spare copies. Kind regards Son of Gwilym.

Son of Gwilym
Seaman

Postby Son of Gwilym » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Great pictures on the articles thread of the church at Komiza and Garlands painting of MTB's in harbour very atmospheric, we are blessed.

Son of Gwilym
Seaman

Postby Son of Gwilym » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm

"Our Lady of the Pirates" By Kenneth M Horlock DSC RNVR Commanding Officer MTB D 651, mentions other vessels and units including:

60th MGB Flotila, 19th MGB Flotila, MTB 18, MTB 22, MTB 24, MTB 226, MGB 643, MTB 645, MGB 646, MTB 647, MTB 649, MTB 656, MGB 661, MGB 662. MTB, 667, MTB 674, HMS Whaddon, British Hospital Ship HMS Maine, HMS Vienna, HMS Campbeltown ML 443 (ML 13), Vosper 85, HMS Curlew.

Sorry this isnt an exhaustive list but I will update it as I discover my errors and or omissions.

Edited 29/11/2012 Adding MTB 667 and relacing MTB, with MGB where known if not specified in the text.

Drawings of:

D 651 between pages 4 and 5,
ML471 between pages 42 and 43,
German E-Boat S 406 between pages 22 and 23.

Lyndap
Seaman

Postby Lyndap » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello I'm trying to get a copy of this book as my late Dad served on it.

Croatian Navy
Petty Officer

Postby Croatian Navy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:21 pm

Hi,

I am still searching for this book. So, if anybody can help....

Thank you

JonBinner
Seaman

Postby JonBinner » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:24 pm

I only recently came across the book Our Lady of the Pirates by Kenneth Horlock - and I note that others are also interested in reading it. There was a post that indicated that someone had a copy and I wonder if either a) a copy could be given to one of those publishers who focus on small, bespoke books for them to publish or b) someone from this CFV forum who has a copy could scan it in and turn it into a pdf. The latter could then be made available, perhaps in return for a donation (e.g. £10?) to charity. This way the book could be made more widely available and some charity or other, of the choice of the people on the CFV, could benefit. Just a thought. I do hope that I can get hold of a copy of this book one day, I would love to read it. I also very much hope that Lyndap got a copy too; I certainly can't claim that my Dad served on the same boat - that sounds like a phenomenal reason to want to read it. Cheers, Jon.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:17 pm

Hello Jon

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the suggestion regarding Ken Horlock's book. Unfortunately, no one can scan it and sell it, since the work is copyright the author. His daughter had created artwork to accompany the booklet, so that, and the book, are hers and the family's copyright, now that her father is deceased. She did correspond with me some years back, so I will write to see if she is still at the same address, and ask for her permission to make a copy of the book available on the web site.

Regards
Admin

smith190
Seaman

Postby smith190 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:35 pm

Hi,

I have a copy of this book and I recently visited Vis and laid a wreath on the CFVA Plaque in Komiza, which overlooks the Church that the book is based on. you are allowed to copy 5% or a chapter, so if you have a specific interest, let me know.

My Dad was on 651 and often visited Ken and his wife

JonBinner
Seaman

Postby JonBinner » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Many thanks to both of you. Let's hope that Ken's daughter can be contacted and is agreeable to the idea - thanks Admin! Smith190, many thanks for your offer too! By shear chance I was on holiday in the Dalmatian islands earlier this summer, but hadn't read the book on Dog Boats by Len Reynolds at that point so was unaware of the link with Komiza - shame, I actually visited Komiza briefly too!
Cheers
Jon

Return to “Books & Magazines”