The Former HMS Gay Archer

Post-war development of Coastal Forces craft covering the Proud, Bold, Gay, Dark or Brave Class boats, as well as experimental craft
Pioneer

The Former HMS Gay Archer

Postby Pioneer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Messrs ZAGREUS FILMS have stated on behalf of Paul Childs (boat owner) that the ex HMS Gay Archer will be open to visitors through out the rest of February (2010). Admission is free but as the boat purely survives on self-raised finance any donation would be more than appreciated.
Here is a recent image of the boat in Cardiff Bay
hms-gay-archer-cardiff-bay.jpg

Pioneer

Re: The Former HMS Gay Archer

Postby Pioneer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Viewers may like to see these images of the ex HMS Gay Archer as seen in the Daily Mail
Some good shots of the boat and the proud owners.

Dave Mills
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Dave Mills » Tue May 17, 2011 6:17 pm

I recently had the pleasure of having a chat with Paul. A very intersting and enthusiastic man with great energy. He told me about a trip to Malta to rescure a pair of Vee drive gearboxes from an old MTB just before it was scrapped and were removed from the old timber hull with the aid of a chain saw! He will be installing them to replace the present undersized gearboxes that were not up to the engine power availble from the present diesel engines that replaced the old Packard 4M-2500 petrol guzzlers. The Gay Class were the last in the UK to use these petrol engines. I'm looking forward to the day I meet Paul and Gay Archer in person.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am

Here is a clip of the former HMS Gay Archer 'on patrol' off Watchet Harbour. Somerset. UK.
This probably was a test of the fairly recent Stb'd engine overhaul - can anyone confirm?

We are indebted to Gerry Lowe from Watchet for permission to post this interesting video of the last survivor of a mid 50's RN Fast Patrol Boat.

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 pm

It appears that this was an engine test - this post on the British Military Powerboat Team web site confirms.

Julie
Seaman

Postby Julie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi all
I've just watched the video a couple of times (best viewed in full screen for me) what a lovely day and some great footage.
many thanks Mr Lowe for sharing it with us
Julie

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 am

The Friends of Gay Archer report the vessel has successfully completed sea trials with its newly fitted starboard engine, and is now available to take guests for cruises on the Bristol Channel. Owner and restorer Paul Childs in a recent press release states:
It might have taken everything we have to got to reach this stage but it has been absolutely worth it to ensure a vessel from our maritime history is kept alive whilst being able to share thrilling experience out at sea on what could be seen as a mini destroyer!
For more information about trips on the vessel please call 07974 954 978.
Archer berthed.jpg
ex HMS Gay Archer at Watchet Harbour, Somerset, UK

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Sat May 05, 2012 6:49 pm

The former HMS Gay Archer is on the the move from Watchet Harbour Somerset UK to Portsmouth. It is currently planned to make the trip in 8 stages beginning on 27th July 2012, arriving in Portsmouth on 10th August.

She will be open to visitors at each stage of the journey, the first stage ending at Padstow.
29th July on to Newlyn (night time passage) - Newlynn to Falmouth (night time passage 30th July).
1st August Falmouth to Plymouth. 2nd August - Plymouth to Dartmouth.

5th August Dartmouth to Brixham. 7th August to Poole (night time passage)

10th August Poole to Portsmouth.
Attachments
GA July '08.jpg
GA July '08.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 39929 times

Brian Holmes
Commander

Postby Brian Holmes » Sun May 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I look forward to seeing you.

We live in Haslar Marina next to the lightship

Brian Holmes
Coxswain HDML 1387 (Medusa)

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am

Unfortunately I hear that a mishap had cut short the proposed voyage of “Gay Archer” after hitting submerged object(s) while approaching Padstow.

I understand that she had temporary repairs made to her Hull but the damage necessitated her return to Watchet Harbour where she now awaits passage to Bristol for slipping.

Any further news would be most welcome.

An early view taken at Salford Quays
Attachments
Archer at Salford.jpg

Pioneer

Postby Pioneer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 am

Some relatively 'old' footage of the Gay Archer leaving Watchet Harbour.

Return to “Fast Patrol Boats”