Alfred Charles Glyde

Enquiries relating to individual men and women who served with HM Light Coastal Forces; help with interpreting service records, or with tracing former comrades
mglyde
Seaman

Alfred Charles Glyde

Postby mglyde » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 am

Good Morning

I have recently recieved a photo of my Grandfather along with 'stories' that he was a chief engineer on MTBs at Portsmouth and later on landing craft. There is some conflicting evidence as at the PRO there are records for him receiving a merchant navy medal yet the uniform in the attached picture is RN, so I have been told. I would greatly welcome any comments, advice or information so I can bring Granddads story together properly.

Kind regards

Mike Glyde
Attachments
alfred charles glyde in uniform small.jpg
alfred charles glyde in uniform small.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 7245 times

Pioneer

Re: Alfred Charles Glyde

Postby Pioneer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm

This gentleman is wearing the uniform of a 2nd Engineering Officer (with superior certificate) of the Merchant Navy.
A Chief Engineering Officer would have had 4 stripes on his cuff - a Second Engineering Officer, without the superior certificate, would have had 2 and a half rings - similar to a Lt Cdr. See HERE Top Right (British Steam Navigation Company insignia, but would apply to the British merchant Navy). Interestingly, the 'Ball Bearing' blockade runners were manned by Merchant seamen, including Engineering Officer's, but as yet unable to trace a Mr Glyde among any crew.

mglyde
Seaman

Re: Alfred Charles Glyde

Postby mglyde » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Dear "Pioneer"

many thanks for taking the time to respond to my enquiry, and the information is brilliant and informed. I have almost no information on Alfred as he left my gran and dad during the war, and no one knows what happened to him, so I am trying to find out about him, for me and my dad.

I am going to go down to the PRO/National Archives and have a delve around the merchant navy records.

Kindest regards

Mike

Return to “Personnel”